Talk

Advanced search

Replacing a paper white?

(13 Posts)
immortalmarble Sat 28-Apr-18 07:12:32

I got a paper white earlier this year. Before that, I just had the kindle app on my iPad.

I just don’t think I like it. It’s hard explaining why. I think it’s because it’s a ‘brushing’ feeling when I try to turn the page.

I don’t know whether to replace it with a normal kindle or a fire. I know the fire is more of a tablet but I just don’t seem to like reading as much on the paper white and am reading less as a result.

2002Birthday Wed 30-May-18 19:50:50

I got a kindle paper white earlier this year. Like you read on my iPad. Still not sure why I got it. Hard to follow instructions. Set it to read across screen which I prefer. Like you didn't like turning pages. Set it now to just touch screen to go to next page.
Went mad bought a Fire. For the money they are fab. Not only books, Google, Facebook. Loads of settings. Also colour. Better for books.
Just read The Runaway wife. My thought today.

Aragog Wed 30-May-18 19:57:58

I use a PaperWhite and love it. You don't have to 'brush' across to change the page, You can just tap on the edge of the page.

I hate reading on a tablet or phone screen - I hate the glare of the screen. And you can't use a tablet to read in the sun on holiday. I love that I can read in the dark without straining my eyes on the Paperwhite.

The normal Kindle won't make much of a difference to you. You use it in much the same way re changing pages and operating it. The normal one just can't be used in the dark.

I've not tried the much dearer Kindles.

A Fire is just a tablet. You can use the Kindle app on your current tablet just as easy. I had a Fire a few years ago - hated it. Never got used at all. Not a patch on my iPad.

KatyMac Wed 30-May-18 20:09:14

I had an old paperwhite & I really loved it

I got a new one for my birthday & it isn't quite as good but I'm not sure why

Sorry that doesn't help much

Copperbonnet Wed 30-May-18 20:15:08

I have a kindle oasis, it’s waterproof, it has both buttons to turn the page and touch screen capability. It has a back light and (my favourite thing) the text reorients if you turn it upside down.

HyacinthsBucket70 Wed 30-May-18 20:19:32

I replaced a very much loved and used original Kindle when my grandson spilled water on it, with one of the new versions. And I absolutely hate it. It's so hard to use, you lose where you are, it skips pages at a time and is just awful. I now use the Kindle app on a Samsung tablet as it's so much better.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 30-May-18 20:22:42

How does the Oasis screen size compare with the paperwhite. Does it seem noticeably bigger?

Copperbonnet Wed 30-May-18 20:24:25

Kitten it doesn’t feel any different to read. It’s a little shorter and a little wider I think but it’s not noticeable.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 30-May-18 20:30:10

oh that's a shame sad I'm looking for something with a bigger page size. Thanks for replying.

Copperbonnet Wed 30-May-18 20:50:11

Is there a specific reason you need a bigger page Kitten?

The font size is very easy to change.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 30-May-18 21:04:30

It is, but then you can't fit so many words to a page and I get annoyed with turning the page so often. I'm quite a fast reader.

Copperbonnet Wed 30-May-18 21:30:58

I can see how that would be annoying. Sounds like you need the very large ipad with a kindle app then.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 30-May-18 21:31:51

I think you might be right smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: