Talk

Advanced search

can someone tell me how audible works?

(23 Posts)
smilesandsun Tue 16-Jan-18 15:21:14

What does the 1 credit mean?
then on the side its says buy now for £x

what does the monthly fee actually provide.

thanks!

BroccoliOnTheFloor Tue 16-Jan-18 15:26:29

Most books cost 1 credit (some very long ones are 2-3). If you don't have enough credits, you can buy a book for £££.

AstrantiaMajpr Tue 16-Jan-18 15:47:48

You buy your credits up front . I have 24 at a time because it works out cheaper. When you find a book you like you just click on buy with one credit. You can buy extra credits at any time. I think Audible have the best customer service record of any Company I deal with. Particularly if you find you don’t enjoy the book, you just click return and your credit is returned to your account instantly,

Neolara Tue 16-Jan-18 15:50:52

How do you listen to it though? I foolishly signed up months ago, have loads of credits and haven't managed to work out how it works. Ideally, I want to put stories on in the car for the dcs.

AstrantiaMajpr Wed 17-Jan-18 07:35:41

Is there anything in particular that is giving you a problem?

Footle Wed 17-Jan-18 09:36:13

I had a problem and phoned them. They sounded like a sensible bunch.

Situp Wed 17-Jan-18 09:41:09

To listen you download the app to your phone or tablet. You log in with amazon account. Then you download the books you have putchased. You have to go into the amazon website to purchase and not through the app.

You can have the account on loads of devices and the books on all of them.

The credits work really well if you want to buy more expensive audiobooks but keep am eye as sometimes the book is cheaper to buy outright than what you paid for the credit.

Big advantage is that purchases are never lost if you change device which is what happened to me with itunes books.

LyraPotter Wed 17-Jan-18 09:47:53

It is needlessly complicated! You have to buy and download the books through a browser, not the app. And you have to ensure your audible app is set to the same country that you live in. There is a very helpful explanation on the FAQs if I remember rightly - that helped me when I was totally stuck.

smilesandsun Wed 17-Jan-18 17:36:15

How do you buy the credits?
confused

girlwhowearsglasses Wed 17-Jan-18 17:45:46

Best way to buy Harry Potter!

GeorgeHerbert Thu 22-Feb-18 19:09:09

Easiest way to start is to sign up to 1 credit a month which comes off the card linked to your Amazon account. It's easy to cancel and restart anytime. I built up credits, stopped membership, then started again.

Genius46 Mon 23-Apr-18 22:39:43

You may be offered free books, music or songs from time to time by Amazon, Google etc. Also, Gutenberg.com and others allow one to download and read books for free in different formats.
One may listen to some books at different speeds by clicking the icons bottom right. Thanks.

tobee Wed 25-Apr-18 22:26:56

You can get two apps for audible. 1 (with an orange icon) is your library and play control and 2 (which is black) the "shop" where you can purchase books. Also there are monthly deals where titles are cheaper for the month. Occasional sales. And daily deals where one title is either £1.99 or £2.99 for 24 hours.

When you buy membership you can choose how many credits to sign up for. You can then swap a credit for a title of any value. Or you can choose to pay its cash value.

skfaisal93 Mon 22-Oct-18 09:31:45

Each month after buying subscription audible will award you with one credit, Then you can use those Credits to buy Audiobooks, and if you want more audiobooks then you can buy more credits or can pay for per audiobooks.

Audible Monthly Plan

1. Gold Plan will cost $14.95 per month and will provide one credit a month
2. Platinum Plan will cost $22.95 per month and will provide credits per month
3. Gold Annual plan will cost $149.50 per month and will provide 12 credits per year
4. Platinum Annual Plan will cost $229.50 per month and will provide 24 credits per year.
5. The Audible Channels Plan will cost $4.95 per month.

You can read How Audible Works to know Audible in more details and how you can take advantage of audible.

Thank you.

IsTheRainEverComingBack Mon 22-Oct-18 09:36:21

I get one credit a month included for I think it’s £8. Then I buy extra credits if I need to but I tend to only do one audiobook a month. You buy credits like buying anything online, click ‘buy credits’ on the website and go through the process. Books can only be bought on a proper webpage, not through the app. App is only for listening.

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 22-Oct-18 09:53:43

I think it's way too expensive. It's basically £8 a month to listen to one book. Whereas Netflix is around £8 a month to watch EVERYTHING you want.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 22-Oct-18 09:56:47

It is ridiculously expensive.

HunkyDory69 Mon 22-Oct-18 10:06:05

Agree it is very expensive.

On black friday/prime day there is frequently a cheap 3 month membership; that's what suckered me in. However I have continued as I can buy & listen to whatever & if I don't like it or simply font an't to keep it having heard it, they will refund your credit. So it's kind of an expensive library, if you like.
I like a lot of the recent free stuff added as well. That is more likely to keep me a member than the refund heard books, tbh, as it is as expensive as netflix. Advantage over netflix for me is that I can get along with jobs that don't involve my mind & doesn't require me to watch.

IsTheRainEverComingBack Mon 22-Oct-18 10:12:16

It is expensive. But audiobooks are expensive.

HuckfromScandal Mon 22-Oct-18 11:24:43

It's not expensive at all.
Show me something that can entertain me for up to 20 hours for £8?
A book costs about a fiver. And I can't read that in the car, or on a walk, or whilst I am cleaning or going for a run.

Spotify is £14.99 a month for a family subscription. And I definitely enjoy Audible more.

IsTheRainEverComingBack Mon 22-Oct-18 11:55:01

I think the point on expense is for £7.99 I get one book per month on Audible, and on Netflix or Apple Music that are a similar cost, I get access to everything on the system, not just one thing.

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 22-Oct-18 12:16:36

* I think the point on expense is for £7.99 I get one book per month on Audible, and on Netflix or Apple Music that are a similar cost, I get access to everything on the system, not just one thing.*

Yes, exactly this. If an Audible subscription let me listen to everything/anything, it'd be good value, on the same level as most other subscriptions.

Would you pay for Netflix if the monthly fee only let you watch one movie?

A Readly subscription lets you read all the magazines, not just one. Music subscriptions give you access to all the music.

The Spotify family subscription isn't really relevant - Audible isn't a multi-user membership, is it? If I got Apple Music Family we could all listen to everything.

My library has a free audiobook service where you can borrow a few audiobooks at a time.

So I still think Audible is too expensive for what you get.

nick677 Mon 01-Apr-19 10:19:32

Amazon Audible works on a credit system which includes a monthly subscription which gives you monthly 1 credit ( depending up your plan)
from which you can purchase any audibook from Audible
if you want to learn more check this link how does audible work

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: