Talk

Advanced search

Which kindle?

(11 Posts)
Icequeen1 Thu 19-Jan-17 11:00:03

Hi all, my dd's teacher mentioned that we should think about getting a kindle, so as to encourage a greater choice with reading books etc.
Dd is 10years old. I know nothing about kindles and have just had a quick glance on Amazon and there seems to be different kindles.
Would very much appreciate if anyone can offer some advice on which one would be best to buy? Thanks.

babyboo1and2 Thu 19-Jan-17 11:19:22

I'm on my third kindle which is the paper white (which is my favourite so far). I really like having adjustable brightness. It's also good for being able to read without having to have the bedside lamp on.

Icequeen1 Thu 19-Jan-17 12:18:35

Thanks babyboo1&2. I've just spent some time reading old posts on kindles and it's not as simple as I thought.

I've got loads more questions, so if you and other MN's can help me out smile.

First I need to choose the right one and it would seem a kindle paperwhite would do, as it's lightweight for Dd's small hands and there is no glare or reflection from sunlight. Not sure about night reading, as if the kindle took off with dd, she would never go to sleep! Does anyone think an voyager or oasis would be of benefit to dd at this stage? Don't want to overspend on unnecessary extras.

Read about turning pages, is it easier for children to swipe or are these kindles multifunctional?

Storage, is it like a computer or an iPad where you buy different ones based on the storage capacity? Or can you store as many books you like forever?

Battery life is a consideration. When your out and about can you plug into your car? is the charger a universal fit?

Buying books, I presumed you could only buy from Amazon cheaply than buying an actual book or are the same price?

I'm getting the picture there are other ways too get books, like borrowing a book. Is this cheaper than buying and do you have a limited time in which to read it, like in the libraries?

When you buy, does the book price vary? Is there a discounted website you can buy from instead of Amazon?
Also once you've bought the book it's your's forever, right? So you can revisit your old purchases?

I know loads of questions, sorry, but I hope you'll all help me out here. Thanks

babyboo1and2 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:40:05

I'll answer the questions I can.

It's easy to turn pages, just tap right hand side of screen to go forward and left hand side to go back. I prefer the original kindle's way of page turning which was a ' lucky' button on the right hand edge of the kindle but I don't think kindles are made with that any more ?

If you go on Amazon and type in kindle I'm sure you will get to a page where you can compare battery life, size, features, price etc of the different models.

Battery life is fantastic. Weeks rather than hours/days you get with tablets.

Kindles hold thousands of books. Also they can be kept in the cloud and downloaded as when when wanted.

Once purchased books are yours forever to reread whenever you wish.

I don have any knowledge of loaning books etc.

I've always bought from Amazon and mostly ebooks are cheaper.

HTH

babyboo1and2 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:42:16

* 'clicky' not 'lucky'

Pinkkahori Sat 21-Jan-17 10:47:21

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I bought second hand after my original first generation kindle died (after many years of frequent use).

I love the paperwhite because of the inbuilt light. It's great for reading in bed but I have found that I sometimes stay awake much longer than I intended when I get caught up in a book.

The battery life is excellent, especially if you only turn the WiFi on to download a book.

If you would like your dd to read the classics many of them are available for free which is excellent. And older books are often quite a bit cheaper than buying a hard copy.

My dd got a Kindle Fire for Christmas which is a tablet rather than an e-reader but you can use the Kindle books app to read books as you would on an e-reader. Because it is a table though I am not sure if it as easy of the eyes if she plans to do a lot of reading.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:48:19

I've literally got the cheapest, so no backlight or touchscreen feature, let alone any wifi etc, but it's perfect for just reading and I adore it. Have used it nigh on everyday since my ex got it for me 3.5 years ago! I don't even know if they still make ones like that though, with little buttons on the sides? Either way, get a kindle, they're awesome!

Jinglebells99 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:51:48

A lot of real libraries have e books you can borrow for free, but only on other makes of e reader, not kindle. You can also borrow e books from libraries onto a tablet like an iPad or kindle fire. Kindle fire is a tablet not an e reader. E readers are better for reading really, as no glare.

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 21-Jan-17 10:57:40

If I were you, I would just get her the cheapest, most basic one possible. you can read it in bright sunlight - looks just like a book, so no glare or eye strain.

You wouldn't have to worry about storage! The battery life is excellent (days, if not weeks on 1 charge).

I have the most basic one, but also a kindle fire. The plus about the kindle fire is that it can also converts the text to speech - so the books can also be audio books - I listen to a lot of my books when I'm doing housework or driving. The fire is basically a cheap tablet, so could also be used for surfing the web or playing games. Not good for reading in sunlight. I have both to cover every eventuality.

ErnesttheBavarian Sat 21-Jan-17 11:01:02

ah X post with jingle. I also borrow both audio and e-books from the library and read/listen to them on my kindle.

I think I use my fire more than my basic one. I got my dd (8) a kindle fire for Christmas, so she can play games or watch videos, and also read, and she does like listening to the books to, so perfect for journeys. You can set limits, so it can't be used after e.g. 8pm.

but if purely for reading, like I said, i'd go for the most basic one.

Icequeen1 Mon 23-Jan-17 23:22:38

Thanks all for your feedback and advice. I know I asked a lot of questions, really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now