Talk

Advanced search

Which Kindle should I buy?

(22 Posts)
noisyrice Wed 03-Aug-16 19:16:18

Hiya, I've been looking at a Kindle for a while and am wondering which one is the best for me. There seems to be so many different ones!

I literally just want it to read books, and to be able to get books onto it easily, no hassle. I'm leaning towards glare free so I can take it on holiday/read in the garden.

Does anyone have one that they really recommend?

(I do like paperbacks but just have too many and would rather donate them all and just get cheap books downloaded)

Also, if anyone could tell me what the battery life is like, then that would be great too!

Thank you smile

dementedpixie Wed 03-Aug-16 20:06:55

I had a paperwhite and that was great as you can read it in the dark. Ds pinched it to read his books though so I got the Voyage which is much the same as the paperwhite but is a bit thinner and lighter. It can also be read in the dark and it auto adjusts the brightness for you. Battery lasts for weeks especially with the wireless off.

strawberrypenguin Wed 03-Aug-16 20:08:53

I've got the paperwhite and I love it. Good battery life and easy to use

Standingonmytippytoes Wed 03-Aug-16 20:09:28

Paperwhite sounds perfect for you not as expensive as voyage but will do exactly what you want.

feralcat19 Wed 03-Aug-16 20:11:10

Paperwhite definitely.

Only turn wifi on when you want to download a book and obviously it depends on how much you use it but mine seems to last for ages.

iklboo Wed 03-Aug-16 20:11:59

Agree with the paperwhite. You can read in the dark or bright sunlight with no problems. The battery lasts ages why you have airplane mode on.

noisyrice Wed 03-Aug-16 23:09:25

That's settled then! Paper white it is, thank you everyone! smile

noisyrice Wed 03-Aug-16 23:15:13

That's settled then! Paper white it is, thank you everyone! smile

Andy5564 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:08:07

I would recommend Voyage or Paperwhite, depends on your preference
You can compare them here www.bestadvisor.com/ereaders

FairytalesAreBullshit Mon 17-Apr-17 22:37:17

I had an old Kindle, I think my new one which has gathering dust till recently is a Paper White, I can't fault it.

hashtagcurious Thu 20-Apr-17 14:36:14

love my paperwhite. Battery lasts ages and ages! Not too bright in the dark too when DH is snoring away smile

pollie9 Sat 22-Apr-17 04:14:02

I have seen many kindles in Amazon and Barnes and Noble. You might want to get book about parenting and fiction stories. You will surely enjoy reading a wonderful book!

Lureg Wed 26-Apr-17 07:34:23

I agree with everyone here and vote for the Paperwhite. Glare-free screen, well lit, easy to download books, battery lasts for several weeks with wireless off. If you can afford it, however, get an Oasis. It's a more advanced version, more lightweight, has a grip to enhance comfort to your fingers, more lightweight, rotating screen. It comes with a case where you can charge your Kindle with, so it can last for like 2 months.

You can find a review and comparison between the Paperwhite, the Voyage, and the Oasis here: www.hookedtobooks.com/best-ebook-readers/

AverysillyoldHector Wed 26-Apr-17 07:44:15

Another vote for the Paperwhite here. Love the backlight, its easy to read thanks to the screen resolution and I charge it about once every 6 - 8 weeks.

Trills Wed 26-Apr-17 08:02:07

I've looked at the comparisons and I don't really understand why anyone would bother getting one that is more expensive than the paperwhite, unless they had some trouble with their hands that meant they needed the lighter weight, or were travelling without access to plugs for months on end.

It's already lighter than the average paperback book.
I turn off auto-rotate on my phone.
I turned off the automatic light adjustment on my phone because it was doing annoying things.
Charging every few weeks is fine.

hashtagcurious Wed 26-Apr-17 10:50:58

Just to let you know, the day after I chirped in I dropped my paperwhite in the bath. It's not waterproof. DEVASTATED sad

Trills Thu 27-Apr-17 08:06:44

Oh no! That's very sad.

Did you think it was waterproof, or did you just think "I won't drop it"?

Lureg Thu 27-Apr-17 08:06:50

@AverysillyoldHector: The Paperwhite is actually front-lit. Its LEDs are placed in front of the screen.

@Trills: Well it really depends on your budget and personal preference smile As for the rotating screen though, it's only available on the Oasis and what it does is a 90 degree flip so you can hold the device with either hand (because the grip and the buttons are only on one side of the screen to minimize the weight). I think that's pretty cool.

@hashtagcurious: I wonder why it's so hard for Amazon to make an ereader that can survive a quick drop in the bathtub. Even the Oasis is not waterproof sad Get a Kobo Aura H2O or Aura One next time!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 27-Apr-17 08:09:49

Paperwhite. I loved my old kindle and reluctantly upgraded to a paperwhite when I dropped my old one and knackered the display. It is fab - the battery isn't quite as good as the old style kindles but as PP have said, lasts for ages anyway with WiFi switched off.

hashtagcurious Thu 27-Apr-17 12:31:09

trills no didnt think it was waterproof at all, just thought I wouldn't drop it. I never really have baths and can count on one hand the times I have taken my kindle with me in the years I have had it. Just very unfortuante, my own mistake sad

Trills Thu 27-Apr-17 23:53:08

sad I also take mine to the bath occasionally and think I won't drop it

SparklyFairyDust Wed 03-May-17 16:43:30

I've had a first generation one, now I've got a Paperwhite, both DC's have the Kindle HD Fire. Honestly can't fault them, I find the Paperwhite easier to navigate, plus easier to read. The one I got was about £90 2 years ago reduced for some promotion.

It's lightweight which is really good. I struggle holding books so that is important to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now