Talk

Advanced search

Reading a Kindle Fire screen in the sunshine?

(13 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Sun 17-Apr-16 17:50:58

I had a Kindle Fire for Christmas and, despite thinking I wouldn't get on with it, have found it great. I also looked forward to the ease of being able to have lots of books to hand when going on holiday without worrying about weighing down the suitcase!

However today's sunshine has made me wonder how practical it is going to be on the beach or poolside in the sun due to the glare and reflection.

Any tips? Anything that you can do/attach to the screen to reduce the reflections?
Any danger of the sand wrecking it too?

ElinorRochdale Sun 17-Apr-16 17:56:33

I have a Fire and I love it, but it isn't good for reading in sunlight. Turning the screen brightness up can help a little, but not if the sun is really bright. Beach or poolside reading isn't my thing, so it doesn't really bother me. Best thing might be to buy a cheap basic Kindle for holiday reading.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 17-Apr-16 17:58:23

Do they have the matt screens then?

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Apr-16 17:59:09

Kindle Fires are tablets though arren't they? Dedicated eReaders - Kindle Paperweight for example - generally have better screens for reading in sunlight, low light and other difficult light conditions.

ElinorRochdale Sun 17-Apr-16 18:05:18

Yes, the dedicated e-readers, which don't have all the functions of a tablet, are advertised as glare-free, and readable in bright sunlight.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 17-Apr-16 18:05:21

aah right. I'm new to e-readers/Kindles so have no idea!

I'd always been a bit of a "proper books only" person but thought I'd give it a go.

CaurnieBred Sun 17-Apr-16 18:16:32

I have a Fire, a Paperwhite and the Kindle App on my mobile phone. I love that anything I buy through the Kindle Store can be downloaded to any of my devices AND that if I read part of a book on one device and then switch to another device, as long as both have been connected to the internet, it remembers the last position read on the other device and asks if I want to move to there.

I can def confirm that I have never had any issues reading an eReader in direct sunlight (either with my Paperwhite or, previously, my Sony eReader).

NorbertDentressangle Sun 17-Apr-16 19:35:06

Thanks folks. Not sure I can justify buying another Kindle just for a few weeks of the year though!

Does anyone have any experience of these anti-glare screen protectors?

If not I may have to pack good old paperbacks again!

NorbertDentressangle Wed 11-May-16 17:07:16

After trying to read my kindle in the (brief) summer sunshine at the weekend I'm bumping this to ask about the anti-glare screen protectors in my last post - are they any good?

hunibuni Wed 11-May-16 17:13:26

I have tried the anti glare stuff and it doesn't really do much. IMO the likes of a Paperwhite will get used a lot! I have a Fire and Paper white and the latter gets used 99% of the time if I'm just reading because I find it less strain on my eyes. I was reading it in the sunshine earlier and it was great.

hunibuni Wed 11-May-16 17:14:44

I tend to go away with both. The Fire gets used as a tablet only

NorbertDentressangle Wed 11-May-16 18:11:46

hmm I think I might stick with a good old paperback book for the beach/poolside then.

ShyGirlie Tue 17-May-16 22:24:00

Fire will be no use in the sunshine, as far as i know its meant to be used primarily as a tablet.

Just treat yourself to a kindle e-reader. I have the voyage, though i think there are cheaper ones too. They will be perfect for sunshine and also far less strain on your eyes in general. Fab for reading in bed too. You only think you won't get enough use out of it - you'll love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now