Talk

Advanced search

am I missing something here ?

(15 Posts)
OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 13:06:00

Hi peeps - I use iPhone and iPad ... Have books downloaded onto them ... Just wondered why I might need a separate appliance to read from ? Am I missing something ?! My daughter has a kindle and various friends too ... And seeing you guys all reading away on them I just thought I'd ask ! ( sorry if you all feel it's a daft question !!)

2madboys Mon 09-Nov-15 13:07:35

The non-shiny screen makes them much easier to read and kinder on your eyes. Battery life is also much better.

Personally, I use a basic Kindle with no web access, just books. I think if I had other stuff on there I'd be distracted and be surfing the net and never doing any proper reading.

elelfrance Mon 09-Nov-15 13:11:28

things i love about my ereader
-battery life (i charge mine once a fortnight)
-reading is way more comfortable than on a phone /ipad, its really like reading paper
-no interruptions from email/text/FB etc notifications

TwoTwoOneBravo Mon 09-Nov-15 13:11:55

You can read a kindle even in bright sunlight plus their battery life is pretty impressive. I have kindle apps on my iPhone and iPad (all synced of course) which I use if I have a few minutes on the train or whatever. But I find my actual kindle easier on my eyes so I prefer that if I'm settling in for several chapters.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 14:34:10

Ahhh so they can be linked ?! That makes sense !! Ok - I see the benefit now - two weeks between charges ?! Awesome !! I do get constant interruptions now you mention it - I didn't think of that !!! Thank you thanksthanksthanks !!!

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 09-Nov-15 14:45:44

I like to read on my Kindle before I fall asleep because it's not back-lit. Reading on the phone or iPad tends to interfere with sleepiness because it's quite bright.

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Nov-15 14:55:29

I agree with what everyone else has said. A year ago I was sceptical, since last Christmas I have been a convert.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 16:04:54

Right - looking at kindles ( unless other makes are the preference ?!?! )

TwoTwoOneBravo Mon 09-Nov-15 16:06:34

I've had a Nook and a Kindle. I far prefer the Kindle. But there are pros and cons to both.

RainbowRoses Mon 09-Nov-15 16:13:04

Kindle Fire, love mine.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 16:13:22

What's paper white ?! Sorry - total novice here ?!!

I think the anti glare thing will be good for me - and the light thing you mentioned could explain my problems dropping off to sleep !!! Doh !!!

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Nov-15 17:38:59

Paperwhite is the "good ereader but not tablet" model of Kindle. I have one, I love it. You won't regret it. smile

TwoTwoOneBravo Mon 09-Nov-15 17:43:07

Yes get a paperwhite if you can afford it. Crisper text than the standard kindle. You don't want a Kindle Fire as they are tablets and you've already said you have an iPad.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 09-Nov-15 17:56:42

A Paperwhite can be read in the dark, you would need to have a bedside-light on to read the ordinary Kindle. It's not back-lit like a tablet or phone though, so it doesn't make you less sleepy.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 18:49:37

Great - paper white with no added bits sounds good to me ! Thanks everyone !! thanksthanksthanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now