Talk

Advanced search

am I missing something here ?

(15 Posts)
OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 13:06:00

Hi peeps - I use iPhone and iPad ... Have books downloaded onto them ... Just wondered why I might need a separate appliance to read from ? Am I missing something ?! My daughter has a kindle and various friends too ... And seeing you guys all reading away on them I just thought I'd ask ! ( sorry if you all feel it's a daft question !!)

2madboys Mon 09-Nov-15 13:07:35

The non-shiny screen makes them much easier to read and kinder on your eyes. Battery life is also much better.

Personally, I use a basic Kindle with no web access, just books. I think if I had other stuff on there I'd be distracted and be surfing the net and never doing any proper reading.

elelfrance Mon 09-Nov-15 13:11:28

things i love about my ereader
-battery life (i charge mine once a fortnight)
-reading is way more comfortable than on a phone /ipad, its really like reading paper
-no interruptions from email/text/FB etc notifications

TwoTwoOneBravo Mon 09-Nov-15 13:11:55

You can read a kindle even in bright sunlight plus their battery life is pretty impressive. I have kindle apps on my iPhone and iPad (all synced of course) which I use if I have a few minutes on the train or whatever. But I find my actual kindle easier on my eyes so I prefer that if I'm settling in for several chapters.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 14:34:10

Ahhh so they can be linked ?! That makes sense !! Ok - I see the benefit now - two weeks between charges ?! Awesome !! I do get constant interruptions now you mention it - I didn't think of that !!! Thank you thanksthanksthanks !!!

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 09-Nov-15 14:45:44

I like to read on my Kindle before I fall asleep because it's not back-lit. Reading on the phone or iPad tends to interfere with sleepiness because it's quite bright.

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Nov-15 14:55:29

I agree with what everyone else has said. A year ago I was sceptical, since last Christmas I have been a convert.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 16:04:54

Right - looking at kindles ( unless other makes are the preference ?!?! )

TwoTwoOneBravo Mon 09-Nov-15 16:06:34

I've had a Nook and a Kindle. I far prefer the Kindle. But there are pros and cons to both.

RainbowRoses Mon 09-Nov-15 16:13:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 16:13:22

What's paper white ?! Sorry - total novice here ?!!

I think the anti glare thing will be good for me - and the light thing you mentioned could explain my problems dropping off to sleep !!! Doh !!!

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Nov-15 17:38:59

Paperwhite is the "good ereader but not tablet" model of Kindle. I have one, I love it. You won't regret it. smile

TwoTwoOneBravo Mon 09-Nov-15 17:43:07

Yes get a paperwhite if you can afford it. Crisper text than the standard kindle. You don't want a Kindle Fire as they are tablets and you've already said you have an iPad.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 09-Nov-15 17:56:42

A Paperwhite can be read in the dark, you would need to have a bedside-light on to read the ordinary Kindle. It's not back-lit like a tablet or phone though, so it doesn't make you less sleepy.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 09-Nov-15 18:49:37

Great - paper white with no added bits sounds good to me ! Thanks everyone !! thanksthanksthanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: