Kindle Paperwhite newly delivered but won't connect to wifi

(16 Posts)
MrsRossPoldark Thu 16-Jul-15 14:36:19

I have it plugged in so it's charging up. List of available networks shows my intended network as available and 3/3 signal strength, but the instant I select the network name, the signal drops to 0 and it thinks about it before saying

"Your kindle connected to the Wi-Fi network but could not reach the internet. Contact your Internet Service Provider for further assistance"

I have tried restarting the router [several times] including restating the router and the kindle at the exact same time. As for contacting my ISP - have you tried recently? All I get is reams of forum information that's irrelevant and I can't find a phone number to speak with a human!

Any ideas please? I have a computer; several phones; tablet devices etc that connect fine!

MrsRossPoldark Thu 16-Jul-15 14:38:11

...including restarting the router...

0ddsocks Thu 16-Jul-15 14:47:18

Does your Internet work on a different device (I.e phone or laptop)

0ddsocks Thu 16-Jul-15 14:47:48

Ignore that. Just saw your last paragraph

HeadDreamer Thu 16-Jul-15 14:49:47

Does your router have a white list of allowed devices?

SofiaAmes Thu 16-Jul-15 14:55:06

Amazon have a whole department dedicated to the kindle devices. Call them....you can find the link through the help tab on the Amazon website.

MrsRossPoldark Thu 16-Jul-15 15:30:01

Called amazon first - they just said to call my ISP. Finally tracked down a number and got ISP to login remotely but they cant do anything as I have [wisely or not] changed the default pwd to something I can no longer remember so they can't do anything.

Can't find a number to call amazon?

MrsRossPoldark Thu 16-Jul-15 16:26:11

Now using online chat! The only option it seems, is that it's a faulty device so I now have to try to get a replacement [given that my sister bought it for me as she gets a discount, so it's inconveniencing her too, as she lives 450 miles away and we had to pay P+P to get it to me].

Looking at online forums whilst trying to rectify the problem, it seems that sadly, this is very common indeed and I think Amazon might have some re-thinking to do!

Not sure whether to replace or just refund and go back to paperbacks!

MrsRossPoldark Thu 16-Jul-15 16:28:51

Another 2.5 hours wasted trying to sort out IT - back to paperbacks!

forago Thu 16-Jul-15 16:29:53

have you tried disconnecting some of the other devices that connect OK - some routers have a Max no devices configured. i'd disconnect everything, turn everything off, turn on router and kindle only, stand in front and see if it can connect.

MrsRossPoldark Thu 16-Jul-15 17:10:56

BINGO!

Had to go to my router / SuperHub interface and restore the router to factory settings [only a bit of a pain as it means that anyone connecting to wifi at home now has to select a different name [same pwd]]. Kindle connected straight away and sync'd my books almost immediately! Now I can test it out properly!

Phew - only took me 3hours so hope this thread will help save someone else the aggro! I'm off to post the solution on the forums I visited earlier!

HeadDreamer Thu 16-Jul-15 19:15:49

Is your ISP virgin? Guessing from the superhub reference. The router is a piece of crap.

SofiaAmes Fri 17-Jul-15 02:18:08

I made the switch from paper to a kindle paperwhite about a year ago and although I was sure I would hate it, I actually LOVE it and am back reading at the amounts I did before I had kids and I got old and my eyes got weak. And it really does work in bright sunshine (I live in LA, so this is useful).

MrsRossPoldark Sat 18-Jul-15 23:20:03

Head dreamer : yes indeed its virgin. DH insists its still the fastest in our area & it probably is - as long as it's actually connected! It will link to wifi for shorts periods of time but more often is on 4G or 3G so is using all my download quota!

forago Sun 19-Jul-15 23:36:35

if you have a virgin superhub you need to persuade them to replace it as its an old model now. If you can wangle it they send you out a supehub 2 which is much more reliable and better WiFi speeds. I persist with virgin as an isp as no one can match then for downloaded and speeds. I am on 150mb and I think next fastest theoretical speed in the UK is BT at 80/90mb. most people don't need these speeds but I do for work (and movies smile).

with the old superhub I'd get 150 when plugging my laptop in directly with a wired connection but as soon as I used WiFi it was 30mb Max even if standing right in front of it. the connection would often drop upstairs. I bitched and moaned about this for a few weeks and eventually persuaded them to send me a superhub 2 which is way more reliable and faster WiFi. newer model/technology.

might be worth a try? (get DH to do it as involves a few tedious calls to non UK callcentres and a couple of hours of your life on the phone)

MrsRossPoldark Tue 21-Jul-15 18:39:19

Forago: really useful! Will chase it up. Sadly it will have to be me as DH does sod all when it comes to making calls that take ages, leaves it to me to sort, then grumbles if I get it wrong! Ain't that always the way & prob another thread altogether!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now