Talk

Advanced search

Can you tell me about touch screens on Kindles.

(10 Posts)
Ausflug Sun 12-Jul-15 17:15:54

I have an original style Kindle with keyboard and buttons to go backwards and forwards and no touch screen.

DD (7) has been borrowing it a lot. I thought I might get her one of her own.

But it seems they all have touch screens now.

How easy are they to use? If she ran a finger under a word while reading it, would the pages flick forwards? How easy is it to flick backwards again?

And how easy is it to find the menu and list of your books etc?

LIZS Sun 12-Jul-15 17:20:08

Elderly dm can manage hers ok. Sometimes she gets stuck , ie in landscape not portrait, or font size. But it is pretty easy otherwise.

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-15 17:29:29

Why don't you give her the keyboard one and have the touchscreen yourself?

If she ran a finger across the page she is likely to highlight the text rather than turn the page but it could become tiresome I think.

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-15 17:30:26

The menu etc are fairly straightforward as you just touch the very top of the screen and a menu bar appears.

addictedtosugar Sun 12-Jul-15 17:30:52

Yes, running your finger along the text changes the page.

Would DD like your old one, and you get the new on? Very easy to use, but not, IMO, for those needing a guiding finger.

Ausflug Sun 12-Jul-15 17:46:22

Yes, maybe I should just give her mine and get a new one for myself.

But I like the page-turn buttons too, so I would have to get the expensive all-singing all-dancing new version (Voyage?).

Follyfoot Sun 12-Jul-15 17:54:10

I've got both and I have to say I prefer the old keyboard one. You can set the new one up so you can click the edge of the page a bit like the old one, but as far as I know you cant turn off touching the screen to turn a page so you can still accidentally turn pages. I'm forever turning pages by mistake and its really irritating. Think its because I got so used to using the old one single handed whilst lying on my side in bed.

Sorry, thats no help at all grin

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-15 18:17:22

I've only ever had a touch screen one and I very rarely accidentally turn the page. You get used to it. I have no problems usiing it one handed either.

Ausflug Sun 12-Jul-15 21:29:43

I always use mine single handed on my side in bed too.

Hmm, not sure about DD. She is not really used to using touch screens much, and if it keeps highlighting, or she turns over too many pages I think she'll just get frustrated. But on the other hand, maybe she would quickly get the hang of it.

Wish I knew someone with a newer one she could try out, it's an expensive gamble otherwise.

Redglitter Fri 24-Jul-15 02:39:08

I had the keyboard one and it was replaced with a touch screen one when I broke it. It did take a bit of getting used to but I don't give it a second thought now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now