Talk

Advanced search

Basic kindle or paperwhite for 11 yo dd?

(13 Posts)
CocktailQueen Sun 16-Nov-14 10:45:18

Which would you get? Is the paperwhite worth the extra money?

Also, has anyone tried the amazon 7.99 per month unlimited kindle books. Offer? Worth doing? Sounds too good to be true!
Thanks!

ilovepowerhoop Sun 16-Nov-14 10:55:35

I like my paperwhite as you can read it in the dark with no need for other lights

wearymum73 Sun 16-Nov-14 11:01:01

I would buy the paper white, I got a normal one and regret it.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 16-Nov-14 11:04:32

Get the Paperwhite because a lot of the times when you want to use a Kindle rather than a normal book are also times when it's dark (eg camping, travelling in a car at night, sharing a room with someone else who wants to go to sleep).

AuditAngel Sun 16-Nov-14 11:41:49

Last year I bought DS the kobo mini. I'm not suggesting that, but my question would be about how responsible your 11 year old is? DS has a tendency to be careless, so I didn't want to spend too much and risk him losing it. The Kobo mini was an amount I was prepared to risk him losing.

CocktailQueen Mon 17-Nov-14 12:02:48

Thanks smile

Ah, but if I get the paperwhite I can imagine her reading under the covers all the time and never going to sleep smile

She already has a laptop and looks after that well. She's pretty careful.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 17-Nov-14 12:06:45

Get a very striking cover for it (dd's is purple with white polka dots) to protect it and make it hard to lose.

Floggingmolly Mon 17-Nov-14 12:08:20

We got the paperwhite because they tried to read under the covers!

Ludways Mon 17-Nov-14 12:17:55

I have the bog standard but wish I had the paperwhite, anyone want to swap? grin

OwlCapone Mon 17-Nov-14 12:31:18

if I get the paperwhite I can imagine her reading under the covers all the time and never going to sleep

Good! Nothing like reading under the bedclothes by "torch light" smile

I'd go for he paperwhite TBH.

NecesitoDormir Mon 17-Nov-14 12:37:43

Not sure if you are interested OP but I have a 10% discount code for 10% off any Kindle E-Reader or Fire Tablet. PM me if you would like it.

CocktailQueen Mon 17-Nov-14 13:34:08

I used to read after lights out all the time as a dc - dd is just like me smile Hmm. Leaning towards Paperwhite. But then I'll have to upgrade my Kindle to one as well!!!

theonewiththenoisychild Thu 20-Nov-14 21:59:51

i have the paperwhite and i love it. much easier to read in low light too not just in the dark

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now