Talk

Advanced search

Kindle for a kid - Voyage?

(8 Posts)
WinifredBanks Fri 14-Nov-14 17:39:45

DD (6) will be getting an e-reader for Xmas; I am looking for one without games, just a simple e-reader. I was considering the Kindle Voyage, but does anyone else have any good recommndations?

Blowninonabreeze Fri 14-Nov-14 17:45:04

Both my DDs have a kindle paper white.
It only does books. I wasn't happy with games/internet etc. battery life is good. (Charged every 3 weeks roughly)
The paper white is backlit which is why we chose it over the basic kindle.

I'm not sure that, at 6, the extra featured of the voyage would be worth it.

WinifredBanks Sat 15-Nov-14 05:55:48

Thanks Blowin. Do you find that there are a good number of kids' books available on Kindle?

EdYouKateShaun Sat 15-Nov-14 06:17:20

I've just given my old kindle keyboard to DD (6). I don't think a 6yo needs all the features of a voyage but if you can easily afford it then go for it.
We've had no problem with finding books to read. So far My Little Pony, Rainbow Magic and Secret Seven.

Blowninonabreeze Sat 15-Nov-14 06:33:20

Yes, they currently have lots of david walliams, Tom gates, Enid blyton, Michael morpurgo, that sort of thing.
One thing I was surprised at, is that, for example with the Tom gates books, where the pages have different fonts etc and aren't set out like a traditional book, this translates to the kindle version.

WinifredBanks Sat 15-Nov-14 21:37:25

Excellent, thank yousmile

Theas18 Mon 08-Dec-14 16:31:00

Simple e reader not expensive one at 6.

Actually a nook simple touch would be ideal

Fleurdelise Sat 20-Dec-14 09:19:15

I just ordered my 7 yo daughter the basic kindle for Christmas. She loves reading but I don't think she needs the backlit one as she falls asleep with her bedside lamp on anyway while reading.

I think it is perfect for a child at an affordable price.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: