Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone bought a Kindle from America and used it here?

(8 Posts)
MinnieBloodBar Tue 18-Oct-11 10:03:11

My parents are currently in America and will be for another month or so. They have kindly offered to buy me a Kindle for birthday/Christmas <woop> but there are loads more Kindles available in the US and I can't bloody decide!

here, scroll down for comparisons

I am very tempted by the Kindle Fire but realistically I don't need it (we have a tablet/laptop), the battery obviously doesn't last as long, it's twice as heavy and I think for reading in bed that might be an issue, plus being sensible it's probably better to wait for the Fire 2 to come out once they've sorted out all the problems with it.

But I'm really tempted by the Kindle Touch... as long as it would definitely work here. Has anyone bought one there and used it here?

(Yes, yes, another 'my diamond shoes are too tight' kind of dilemma blush)

TroelsHartmann Tue 18-Oct-11 10:54:55

I don't think the Fire will work here as it uses something called Amazon Cloud which we don't have in this country

I may be wrong though, but I'm sure that I read that this is the reason there aren't any plans to release it here

MinnieBloodBar Tue 18-Oct-11 11:58:31

Oh boo. Do you think the Touch would be ok as it doesn't use that system?
<fingers crossed the Fire 2 will be international>

MinnieBloodBar Tue 18-Oct-11 20:04:44

Update - my dad called Amazon and apparently the Kindles can be used 'anywhere on the planet' grin - love the understatement!

Isla77 Tue 18-Oct-11 22:18:44

how did he manage to do that Minnie? I need to contact Amazon to get help with setting up my wi-fi on my Kindle.

HeadsRollingInTheAisles Tue 18-Oct-11 22:21:55

I haven't done it with the new gen, but did with the original Kindle, it was fine. Just need a UK adapter for it. I also had to change my amazon account for it to a UK one (just because I preferred the UK site book choice).

VivaLeBeaver Tue 18-Oct-11 22:27:44

I wouldn't want the kindle fire at all. It looks like a backlit screen similar to the iPad. I was trying to read on my iPad in the conservatory today and couldn't and had to swap to my kindle as there was no much screen reflection on the iPad. It's why the kindle screen is better on holiday as well.

I may be wrong but I thought to have an American kindle you needed an American email address?

MinnieBloodBar Tue 18-Oct-11 22:35:37

I think the Fire changes from backlit to 'normal' Kindle-style when you want to read.

Isla - I found a phone number on the T&Cs page (US though) but there was also an email address 'for all Kindle enquiries' - I'll try and remember to look for it tomorrow.

How would they know where I am if I have a gmail address??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now