Talk

Advanced search

kindle owners

(13 Posts)
noyouhavehadawee Sun 02-Oct-11 09:53:20

sell it to me... i love to read and when i want to read i have not been to the library and have nothing to read, can you access everything including all the jill mansell trashy chick flit you can muster - are they costly to buy the reading material - can you get anything decent for free? Will the libraries close if we all start getting kindles because i couldnt live with that on my conscience?
Advise please - i love technology but do i need a kindle?

MindtheGappp Sun 02-Oct-11 09:56:03

There are loads of free books for Kindle - classics, first novels by new authors, etc.

You can also get plenty for £1.

Most books are a similar price to buying the book on Amazon.

I bought one for DH because he travels a lot and it can fit in his jacket pocket. I ended up getting two more for our holidays to save taking loads of books.

Our bookshelves are overflowing here and I will not buy any new books now - it has to be Kindle.

ImpYCelyn Sun 02-Oct-11 10:01:11

Yes, you need a kindle.

I was really anti them, but DH got me one when DS was born and I love it!

You can get all sorts to read on them, there's loads of trash available wink

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy them for kindle than in paperback. But there are quite a lot of illegal ways to get books for free of very little. There are sellers on ebay for example that have a disc of recent chick lit for say £2, which might have 500 books on it. There's one seller with a random selection of 9000 books, I think, for about £4.

Plus if you know someone else with one there is now a two week lend-a-book function, so you could share them around.

The stuff that's free is all classic literature - Austen, Bronte, Dickens etc etc. But I like having a load of it on my kindle. It means if I fancy reading Nicholas Nickleby I don't have to cart an enormous paperback around with me. It makes me more likely to read it.

I don't think the libraries will suffer because of kindles. But some of them lend ebooks now.

noyouhavehadawee Sun 02-Oct-11 10:01:15

right so having just scooted on ebay i have found this - anone got something similar? this or are they crapola

noyouhavehadawee Sun 02-Oct-11 10:03:05

Thanks so far - keep it coming.... i have abirthdy coming up smile whats this i hear of a touch one?

noyouhavehadawee Sun 02-Oct-11 10:04:17

right now i also see there is 3g, wifi etc,,, i thought i was just downloading and reading confused

MaeMobley Sun 02-Oct-11 10:06:08

I am a Kindle convert and adore it.

Pluses: it is very light, you can get books instantly, long battery life, you are never without a book.

Negatives: it is "too easy" to get books, ie you order them with one click/ no credit card details. I end up spending more than I intend. Don't assume you can get all books - I wanted "To Kill a Mockingbird", that's not on Kindle.

ImpYCelyn Sun 02-Oct-11 10:14:14

Those aren't proper kindles. I have no idea what they are like, sorry.

EssentialFattyAcid Sun 02-Oct-11 10:52:43

I have only used mine on holiday where I like that you can buy a new book anytime, anywhere, and can save on the weight of carrying lots of books in you luggage.

At home I wouldn't usually carry it around anywhere, as a paperback is lighter and more portable, plus you don't need to worry about losing or damaging it.

changeforthebetter Sun 02-Oct-11 11:08:27

I am dithering considering getting one.

I was very anti because I thought they were another gadget which will become obselete before you know it. However, I have to plough through reams of government policy on education for my teacher training. Printing it out would cost a fortune in ink and paper. It would also be an eco-nightmare. There will also be lots of changes to said policy. I was told I can upload PDFs on to a Kindle?

I don't have much spare time these days but the idea of being able to have a couple of books on hand is appealing.

Most people on my course have them, as well as laptops and smartphones. They don't have to buy school shoes, weekend shoes and winter coats however!

noyouhavehadawee Sun 02-Oct-11 13:16:40

do they give off any like phone radiation waves etc... as i wonder if i have to much technology wi fi'ng, wirelessly spinning through my noggin as it is.

HattiFattner Sun 02-Oct-11 13:21:59

MaeMobley I have Harper Lees book in in epub format, which is easy to convert using Calibre software - PM me your address if you are interested.

HattiFattner Sun 02-Oct-11 13:24:49

Changeforthebetter you can indeed convert PDFs into kindle format - using aforementioned calibre software.

I honestly love my kindle - bought one for DH and one for DD for Xmas last year, and one for me this year after I kept having to borrow theirs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now