Talk

Advanced search

Kindle book advice sought

(14 Posts)
Pleiades45 Fri 30-Sep-11 19:01:12

Hubby has kindly lent me his kindle for the next week as I am going into hospital on Tuesday and may be in for a few days. I have bought and downloaded a couple of books.

I noticed that the classics are often free or a ridiculous price and thought that I might download a few. My usual reading genre is crime.

Can anyone recommend any of the classics which are not too heavy or complicated - remember I will be sedated for a few days and I need something I can pick up if I fall asleep and that doesn't tax me too much!!!

Thanks

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AtYourCervix Fri 30-Sep-11 19:08:50

any of the jane austen ones.

i bought a camilla lackberg 2 in 1 recently - swedish police/crime one. The Ice Princess and The Preacher. Not too taxing yet rather good and cheap too.

good luck in hosp.

Pleiades45 Sat 01-Oct-11 09:55:25

thanks, it helps getting some help on navigating around the kindle store. I'm actually listening to Camilla Lackberg on audible - The preacher. Jane Austen good idea.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 02-Oct-11 15:56:40

Can second Camilla Lackberg or have you tried something like the Moonstone?. I've also started listening to Audible books on my Kindle, fab isn't it smile

Know its not quite in your remit but The Bottecclli Secret is a very easy and entertaining read. Not really sure it's worth the current price though, I got it in the sale for 99p. Now if only I could work out how to email the ebooks.......

minsmum Sun 02-Oct-11 16:06:14

if you log into amazon kindle page e-books and look at the kindle bargains I think they have crime thrillers for 99p or try the kindle discussions page as some one lists all the free books on a daily basis

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 02-Oct-11 16:13:33

Have you tried this website Pleiades45?
minsmum thanks for that, didn't know about the lists of free books. Will take a look next time I'm buying.

nannynick Sun 02-Oct-11 16:36:05

If you are looking for Free books for Kindle, then EreaderIQ searches the amazon site daily for the latest free books and price reductions. There can be good ones sometimes.

Not sure what books to suggest but that may help you find some things to read.

AmINearlyThereYet Sun 02-Oct-11 16:42:05

Beasts and Super Beasts by Saki (witty short stories, in case you haven't come across them before). Free under "Kindle Popular Classics".

Or, if you aren't likely to be up to much, consider children's classics:
"More William" and "Little Women" are both free.

Good luck in hospital.

nannynick Sun 02-Oct-11 16:43:19

There is a book about Broadmoor which is currently Free. Broadmoor Revealed - no idea what it is like (have just downloaded it) but it might be something to dip into which is crime related.

nannynick Sun 02-Oct-11 16:47:56

Children's classics may well be worth considering... Treasure Island

Pleiades45 Sun 02-Oct-11 18:05:38

Many thanks again. I think half my problem is navigating the kindle store. I find it's easier to do on the pc than the kindle. There have been some really helpful comments and advice on this thread. Thank you all so much.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 03-Oct-11 20:16:47

Hope your operation goes well tomorrow Pleiades45 and you have a quick recovery.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Oct-11 13:34:03

What did you read in the end Pleiades and how are you recovering? <nosy>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now