Talk

Advanced search

Sometimes a good old fashioned paperback IS the better idea

(18 Posts)
BsshBossh Thu 22-Sep-11 22:21:56

As much as I love my Kindle and read far more books now I have one, I realised today that a Kindle and a 3 year old don't always go together: as we ran to catch the bus her beaker of water (which I'd thought I'd screwed tightly shut) burst open in my bag and over my stuff, including the Kindle; then on the return journey home the bus was packed so I had to hastily pop DD onto my lap so others could sit down and yes she sat on my bag that was on my lap that contained my Kindle.

I am amazed the Kindle has survived. I am grateful for its thick leather case. But still....

southeastastra Thu 22-Sep-11 22:22:59

anything electronic will eventually die

books just won't

the end

BsshBossh Fri 23-Sep-11 09:24:23

So true...

I love my Kindle but I also love my paperbacks and will always buy first edition hardbacks by authors I love and want to keep forever...

TrillianAstra Fri 23-Sep-11 09:27:58

So... you abused it, and it survived.

So how it a paperback better?

BsshBossh Fri 23-Sep-11 10:32:51

How is a paperback better? Well, I wouldn't have stressed so much about the paperback smile

startail Fri 23-Sep-11 10:36:08

I like reading in the bath and I can't do that on my ipodsad

PelvicFloorsOfSteel Fri 23-Sep-11 10:36:50

Is it possible to get a waterproof case for a kindle? I do most of my reading in the bath so I can't picture moving on from the good old fashioned paperback any time soon.

Snorbs Fri 23-Sep-11 11:05:11

Books do die. I've got a much-loved paperback of "Fear and loathing in las vegas" that's less a book and more a small, sad pile of paper sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 23-Sep-11 12:29:37

Yes you can get a waterproof case for your kindle, its called a ziplock bag grin or you could always lie back and use the text to speech feature.

Haagendazs Fri 23-Sep-11 12:36:44

You can get proper waterproof covers for the kindle. I use kine all the time <bath reader emoticon>
mine is made by Trend Digital

Haagendazs Fri 23-Sep-11 12:41:21

Sorry that should be Trendy Digital
here

ASByatt Fri 23-Sep-11 12:46:43

But surely a paperback wouldn't have coped brilliantly with getting soaked with your DD's drink? confused

BsshBossh Fri 23-Sep-11 15:19:15

No but it would have dried out and still been fairly readable even if not it would have been more easily replaced compared to a more expensive Kindle. Anyway, it's not a biggie, the Kindle is fine.

PelvicFloorsOfSteel Fri 23-Sep-11 19:25:20

I have found another advantage to books, I picked up a pile from the tip today for 50p, I can't foresee a situation where I can get a working kindle for that price.

elkiedee Sun 25-Sep-11 23:18:28

But that isn't an either/or - owning a kindle doesn't stop you taking advantage of print books bargains. And I wouldn't put a drink in the same part of the same bag as my Kindle, or my books, I usually have several of those and the Kindle with me!

Snorbs Mon 26-Sep-11 09:11:11

I agree - I think there is a place for both books and e-readers. What concerns me most about the electronic devices is less the longevity of the device itself and more the longevity of the service it connects to. A lot of the features of the Kindle rely on Amazon maintaining their Kindle license servers and synchronisation facilities. The same goes for all the other e-readers.

I've got books that are decades old and are still a) entirely usable and b) have at least some resale value. Given the pace of change in IT, I do wonder if the Kindle books I buy today will still be readable and usable in 20 years time. And there is pretty much zero chance I could ever sell them on if I so wished.

GooseyLoosey Mon 26-Sep-11 09:14:05

There is a place for both. The poncetastic books that I am happy for people to see on my shelves get bought in "tree-ware", the trashy paper backs I am marginally embarassed about owning are now safely hidden (in large numbers) on the Kindle. Perfect.

pranma Sun 09-Oct-11 21:48:01

I have both-a house full of books and a Kindle.My shelves are full of books I will read again and again.My Kindle has over a hudred 'wallpaper books' for when I want a book away from home or cant carry a lot of books on holday.It also has my favourite classics which I have on shelves as well so I can re read them whenever/wherever I am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now