Talk

Advanced search

Kindle etc should I?

(6 Posts)
scaryfairy28 Thu 25-Aug-11 08:12:51

I really love reading though do slightly less nOw dd is here. Should get one? Which reader is best? And how much will books cost?

Babieseverywhere Thu 25-Aug-11 09:04:53

Yes, you need a Kindle. smile

I would go for the cheaper wifi one if you have internet access at home and are unlikely to be away from home for more than 2 weeks.

Books vary between free and normal Hardback prices depending on the book.

Get a copy of Calibre software It is free and goes on your computer and allows you to convert any e-books you may already have in any format and convert them to Mobi (which Kindle uses) and upload these books directly to your Kindle.

HTH

TrillianAstra Thu 25-Aug-11 09:10:34

Books vary between free (out of copyright old books or rubbish self-published things generally) up to costing more than the equivalent paperback.

Upsides of a kindle - you can carry lots of books around easily - you can buy books and have them be with you almost instantly

Downside - you can't lend your books to people - you have to know what you want rather than browsing

I love mine but I spend a lot of time on trains and I don't necessarily think that everyone needs one.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Aug-11 12:26:15

Agree with Astra that a downside is not being able to lend books to friends but for me that is far outweighed by the shear convenience of being able to read so much more easily.

I do browse quiet alot though. With most Kindle books you can download a sample, so that you can see if you like it before buying.

You can also get some great suggestions of books to read on MN.

Also, have you seen this thread? It might help you to decide whether or not you buy.

scaryfairy28 Thu 25-Aug-11 17:32:58

Decided to buy one got a reconditioned one on amazon so only cost £67! Also discovered my library has ebooks so can borrow from them.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Aug-11 17:36:37

That's great new Scary, hope you enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now