Talk

Advanced search

Can I use a Kindle even if I don't have Wi-Fi?

(8 Posts)
twinky Sun 14-Aug-11 11:25:52

Sorry if this seems like a really dim question but I am not at all tech minded! We live in the middle of nowhere and although we have broadband I'm pretty sure we don't have Wi-Fi. On Amazon they say both models have it so does that mean it's necessary? Thanks for any advice.

pinkhebe Sun 14-Aug-11 11:28:32

I think you can plug it into your pc to download your books

RoundOrangeHead Sun 14-Aug-11 11:33:18

you can get a dongle thingy <sorry don't know the technical term> or something that will give you wi-fi, it's just a bit of kit you buy

if you have broadband then you can get wi-fi

NatashaBee Sun 14-Aug-11 11:38:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LawrieMarlow Sun 14-Aug-11 11:46:08

You don't need wifi to use a kindle. Makes it a bit easier and quicker to get books but isn't essential.

Crosshair Sun 14-Aug-11 16:20:29

For the normal kindle I use the usb.

follyfoot Sun 14-Aug-11 16:26:53

There are two models out there. With the cheaper one, you can download books with wifi or by connecting to your PC. The more expensive model uses wifi, your PC or 3G. That means you can download without connecting to your computer and without wifi (as long as there is a 3G signal). Its free. I download all my books via 3G as we dont have wifi and I often choose books lying in bed so can download from there. Have used 3G to download books abroad too - and its all freeeee!

twinky Mon 15-Aug-11 17:23:36

Ooh thanks everyone. That sounds very encouraging. Now I just have to decide which one to go for. Thanks so much for responding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now