Talk

Advanced search

Kindle Sale - What do you recommend?

(33 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 04-Aug-11 08:51:47

So far I've read White Tiger and The Botticelli Secret, what have you read that's in the sale and what do you recommend?

AlmaMartyr Thu 04-Aug-11 09:57:26

I bought Into the Darkest Corner for 99p a couple of weeks ago (based on recommendations on here) and really enjoyed it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 04-Aug-11 10:49:15

Thanks Alma will have a look at that one.

Any more recommendations?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 05-Aug-11 09:26:02

Anyone else?

AlmaMartyr Fri 05-Aug-11 09:42:40

Not many more I'm afraid sad I don't know what's in the sale and what's not. I do tend to browse Adult Fiction on here and see what books others have read and liked - I guess you could do that and see if any are in the sale? I just downloaded the Botticelli Secret from your link smile

Lilymaid Sat 06-Aug-11 13:27:26

William Boyd's Restless is worth reading - not one of the cheapest as costs £2.49.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Aug-11 18:03:15

Thank you, will have a look at that one too. Don't mind paying £2.49 as I hardly ever go out so its about the only time I spend money on myself, well apart from the booze and chocolate obviously grin

TotalChaos Mon 08-Aug-11 11:40:42

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths is a pretty decent crime novel. (£1.49).

TotalChaos Mon 08-Aug-11 11:42:03

Also there's a couple of freebies by Dana Stabenow (US crime writer. they've made the first one in the series free)

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 08-Aug-11 19:34:44

Thanks Total, will take a look at those too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Aug-11 11:00:45

Anymore suggestions? The sale ends on the 31 August so think I may have to download a few to keep me going smile.

TotalChaos Sat 13-Aug-11 11:22:19

Whatever you Love by Louise Doughty. Witness the Night by Kishwar Desai (good but v. grim, touches on infanticide of girls in India), Song as it is Sung by Justin Cartwright, Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo (again a grim one, about crime, corruption and murder in Peru)

IlanaK Sat 13-Aug-11 11:55:39

Last Train from Liguria

That Summer in Ischia

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Aug-11 12:47:18

All of those sound good, thank you. Witness the Night does sound a little grim you are right but will check it out as I enjoyed White Tiger so much.

elkiedee Tue 16-Aug-11 00:27:03

Between The Assassinations by the same author as The White Tiger is only £2.39
Tishani Doshi, The Pleasure Seekers is another one set in India that's good.
I also recommend Louise Doughty, Whatever You Love

Isabel Ashdown, Hurry Up and Wait

crime fiction
Alison Bruce, Cambridge Blue & The Siren
Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo, Roseanna

I've still to read it but Sofi Oksanen, Purge has had some good reviews

I've also still to read the two Cath Staincliffes going cheap here but I like her other work

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 16-Aug-11 18:55:35

Thanks, can see my amazon bill rising again smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 21-Aug-11 18:39:57

The sale finishes on 31 Aug, just wondering if there are any more recommendations.

elkiedee Tue 23-Aug-11 13:18:52

I've just finished reading Last Train from Liguria, which I actually already owned in paperback, well worth 99p if you're interested in books set in the 1930s and the lead up to WWII.

Don't know if it's part of the sale or a separate bargain but Baking Cakes in Kigali is quite a feelgood book on sale at £1 (despite being set in Rwanda) - reminds me a little of the Mma Ramotswe series, it's written by a white American but is about a woman from another African country who is trying to set up her own business - baking rather than detection in this case. I've downloaded it and will take my rather too bulky hardback copy to a charity shop.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Aug-11 16:52:57

Thanks elkidee, will take a look at those too. Always like a bit of Mma Ramotswe if I need an easy read or am feeling a bit down smile

DiscoDaisy Tue 23-Aug-11 21:17:15

I'm halfway through Sweet Temptation by Lucy Diamnod. It's 99p in the sale and I've enjoyed it so far.
I've read one of the free Dana Stabenow book's. I think it was something like 'A Cold Day For Murder'. I enjoyed it and am now thinking about slowly working my way through the rest of the series when I have some money.

DiscoDaisy Tue 23-Aug-11 21:21:19

Lucy Diamond even!

BenHer Wed 24-Aug-11 13:50:14

Hollywood Sinners - Victoria Fox

Just got a notification telling me this is now free.Reviews on Amazon seem very positive.

Julieann1971 Thu 25-Aug-11 02:47:10

I have just read Crimson China fantastic read and well worth downloading.

elkiedee Thu 25-Aug-11 13:06:50

Glad you enjoyed Cold Day for Murder. Her first book in her other series is also free at the moment, and Breakup which is no 7 in the Kate Shugak series is new out for Kindle and only 86p

Longtime Thu 25-Aug-11 23:47:23

elkiedee, thanks to your recommendation I read Alison's Bruce's Cambridge Blue and really enjoyed it. Am now starting on the Siren.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now