Talk

Advanced search

Kindle: Do I or don't I?

(21 Posts)
megapixie Sat 23-Jul-11 18:55:37

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle. I've heard good stuff on here, so can you tell me the pros and cons (if any), please?

MindtheGappp Sat 23-Jul-11 18:56:56

What do you think they might be?

herbietea Sat 23-Jul-11 18:58:25

Message withdrawn

Mollymax Sat 23-Jul-11 19:13:37

I sent my kindle back.
Realised i like the feel of a real book, shame. I really thought i would love it.

zoe88 Sat 23-Jul-11 19:19:47

DO IT smile I downloaded the kindle app for my iPhone to try it and am now completely converted!!

MaryBS Sat 23-Jul-11 19:20:36

I love my kindle, although I still buy real books as well. Best thing is being able to preview books before you buy, getting free books, having lots of books ready to read, being able to buy books from the comfort of your bed and being able to read one-handed. Not keen on the flimsy feel though, although I've not broken it so maybe its just me.

Lady1nTheRadiator Sat 23-Jul-11 19:23:22

I love my Kindle and there are no cons. Pros are being able to carry around a billion (or thereabouts) books, download and start reading something right NOW because I like the sound of it, sample things before I buy, free classics... lots of v cheap books too by little known authors, Amazon also do sales quite often so it can be a cheap way of reading authors you'd never heard of or wouldn't pay £6 for a paperback on a whim... can read in sunlight, though mine is mostly used for reading in bed with the lighted cover...

Lady1nTheRadiator Sat 23-Jul-11 19:24:19

Ooh yes reading one-handed, and holding it in the air while you lay on your back - you can't do that with a 600 page book without getting cramp pretty quickly/dropping it on your head and losing your page...

chutneypig Sat 23-Jul-11 19:33:29

I love mine. I thought I'd like it, but was surprised how much I prefer it now. I've only read actual books I've been given since.

I like not losing my page and it being so light I take it out whereas I'd probably not with a book. I've tried several books for free that I wouldn't have otherwise and the chapter preview option is great.

I also use mine to store scientific papers which is a huge saving on space and paper.

Holding it is much more comfortable, like Lady says.

Chipotle Sat 23-Jul-11 19:37:18

Love mine! The only con is that ebooks are subject to VAT but paperbooks aren't! sad
chutney I also put papers on my kindle in PDF format and even though I write convert in the subject of the email the graphs, tables and equations are always a mess! How do yours look?

PositiveAttitude Sun 24-Jul-11 22:31:51

Mary I have got over the flimsy feel by getting a cover that folds around it. Now more sturdy, so not worried about it.

Love my Kindle, by the way. Off on holiday this week and instead of packing loads of books they are all on there and ready to go. The battery life is fantastic and lasts weeks.

MaryBS Mon 25-Jul-11 07:54:57

Enjoy your holiday PA. Which case did you buy? Some of them are very expensive, but there seem to be some cheaper alternatives around. I bought a very cheap neoprene sleeve to keep me going while I decide!

PositiveAttitude Mon 25-Jul-11 08:47:50

like this one, but mine flips over the top , Mary.

jillinthailand Fri 29-Jul-11 09:19:56

I'm also thinking about buying one but was a bit shocked at the price to download books from Amazon. I really thought it would be a cheap option compared to buying books.

Are there any other cheaper places for downloads? I know I probably shouldn't ask this... but what about free/illegal downloads? Are there any available?

steamedtreaclesnape Fri 29-Jul-11 09:24:14

I love mine - I still read real books all the time but I love being able to carry my Kindle around and know that I'll never run out of reading material.

jill someone at work gave me a CD with 1500 books on it (I was so excited) so there must be ways round having to download them off Amazon. I think you can buy CDs of audiobooks from Ebay that are formatted so that any e-reader can use them. And you can download ebooks from file-sharing sites, I think. Not sure about the legality of either of those though... blush

jgbmum Fri 29-Jul-11 09:26:43

I bought one on Monday, so it's very early days, but I love it. I found this Tesco Finest black leather case for it which is working well.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Jul-11 13:39:36

mega just wondering if you've made up your mind yet?

MaryBS Fri 29-Jul-11 13:49:20

Thats useful to know about the Finest Tesco case, I didn't realise they made a case, and at such a good price!

midnightexpress Fri 29-Jul-11 13:58:05

D'you know what I don't like about them? You can't share a book. You can't read a book and then give it to your friend or your mum because you loved it. It takes half the joy of reading away.

harumph.

MaryBS Fri 29-Jul-11 14:20:04

You can lend books to other kindle users. And you can get free books, even from Amazon.

MaryBS Sun 07-Aug-11 07:12:18

I haven't been able to find the Tesco finest case for the Kindle, only the more expensive ones or the cheap neoprene one! Doesn't seem to be available on Tesco direct either! Hmm...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now