Talk

Advanced search

Kindle and my 6yo DS???? Will it work?

(11 Posts)
AnonymousBird Fri 22-Jul-11 09:24:30

Am seriously considering getting a Kindle ahead of our summer holiday this year. DS is suddenly a book worm so wondering, how do children get on with a Kindle?

We travel hand luggage only for a 2 week holiday so not carrying books would be great....

MindtheGappp Fri 22-Jul-11 09:29:27

A six year old will really need books to be illustrated (in colour), which I haven't come across in Kindle books. They will also really need to look at the cover, see that a story has a beginning, middle and end, that is tricky with a Kindle. As an adult, I find not really having an awareness for the length of a book is something to get used to (I know there is a progress bar, but it's not the same as handling a book).

MindtheGappp Fri 22-Jul-11 09:30:25

Do get one for yourself, though. They are great. I bought three for the holidays.

MogandMe Fri 22-Jul-11 09:30:53

I am not a fan of children being glued to technology and if he's a book worm then he will be on it for long periods - why not take an anthology of stories.

lockets Fri 22-Jul-11 09:32:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnonymousBird Fri 22-Jul-11 09:42:51

Thanks - he is reading chapter books which have few/no pictures now. I have not seen the format of what it would look like to him, so I perhaps need to investigate a bit as I agree an element of "other" as well as the words might be useful.

And yes, I did wonder about the technology thing - he doesn't have any computer games or whatever, but I do slightly worry about "going down that road"!

We really are so restricted on what we can carry, hand luggage on easyjet is very small (and we need enough clobber for 2 weeks).

So really, what you are saying is that I need to buy TWO kindles for our holiday!!!!!

Theas18 Thu 04-Aug-11 08:26:38

I'd do it but it'd be "mine" not " his" so I retained control and it remained special and was kept safe. I'd also make sure there Was a parental control and 1 clic was off.

chickflit Thu 04-Aug-11 15:07:53

I have some children's books on mine and DS2 who is 6 is quite happy to read a book on the Kindle, however he is not a bookworm so it's probably only when we're sitting around in waiting rooms and the such like.

belgo Thu 04-Aug-11 15:09:54

the main thing is can he look after it, not break it, not lose it? It's an expensive piece of kit for a 6 year old, but infinitely preferable to having them glued to a Nintendo!

milk Mon 08-Aug-11 17:15:33

I recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lost-Sheep-ebook/dp/B005G3Z48Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312820082&sr=8-4

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Aug-11 14:14:40

milk can you do the link again please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now