Talk

Advanced search

Sony e-reader or Kindle?

(14 Posts)
YouCantTeuchThis Tue 31-May-11 13:46:13

I might get one for my birthday, but just trying to weigh up the options.

I read lots but mainly at home, or within reach of wi-fi, so no real need for 3G.

I read in bed and DH would prefer if the light were off.

I would really like a touch screen, as I like the Kindle app on Iphone but it is too small to use all of the time, plus reading with it in bed means I am out of signal range so don't get texts/calls.

I'd like to know more about the local library thing too.

Acekicker Wed 01-Jun-11 19:36:54

I'd vote for Sony. My thoughts were in this thread. To that I'd add that I think the Sony has a much more lovely 'feel' to it, DH's Kindle feels kind of plasticky to me and the keyboard just seems so utterly pointless and 'cluttery' - my Sony is all sleek and shiny. Also you don't get the annoying screen saver (can be disabled on the Sony, Amazon are planning an 'ad supported' version of the Kindle in the future I believe so you can't disable the screen saver without jailbreaking it).

The advantage the Kindle has is that some covers run the light off the Kindle power so you don't have to worry about batteries, however I've just got a clip on light that goes on my cover.

There's some stuff about the library thing here

ScrotalPantomime Thu 02-Jun-11 15:40:54

Ooh I was just about to start this very thread.

I'm really not sure - I like the idea of the wifi/3G on the kindle, but not sure about the fact that you're limited to amazon with it. Will have a look at those links. smile

silverfrog Thu 02-Jun-11 15:42:45

you're not limited to amazon if you download Calibre software (free) - then you can buy form anywhere and convert format.

hth

BelleEnd Thu 02-Jun-11 15:45:33

I have a Kindle and I love it. I am still trying to get over the fact that it just doesn't look like a screen- It looks like a page! Also, lots of books free to download off amazon, and it's just so easy. And I adore the screensavers.
No experience of the e-reader, though.

ScrotalPantomime Thu 02-Jun-11 16:32:36

We definitely can't afford the Sony 650 (£200) - it'd be the 350. With the kindle I'm not sure which one.

I'm on amazon all the damn time anyway so it seems quite easy to add the ebooks to my browsing...

WhiteRose26 Tue 28-Jun-11 20:07:49

I have a colleague with a Kindle and a colleague with a Sony Reader, and I borrowed both devices one lunchtime to have a play do some research.

"Page" turning - this was faster on the Kindle than the Sony - in fact on the Sony, I found it slow enough to interrupt my "train of reading"
Typeface size - more options on the Kindle (important if you have just started needing glasses to read - I can make the type size large enough on the Kindle to read without glasses
Weight - the Sony was lighter than the Kindle (both in covers)

Both were easy to use and fairly intuitive.

On the basis of this very interesting lunchtime and fairly limited research, I decided that I preferred the Kindle, and, six months later, am the proud owner of one. I've had it for a month and am very pleased with it smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 01-Jul-11 13:46:36

Thank you silverfrog. Have a Kindle and didn't know that.

EustaciaVye Sun 10-Jul-11 10:59:21

I have just migrated from a sony reader to a kindle.

The kindle is way ahead in terms of getting the books onto the device. It has an easier menu too.

bran Sun 10-Jul-11 11:12:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EustaciaVye Sun 10-Jul-11 11:34:32

how would you sync it to an iPad?

I have a Kindle, an Iphone and an Ipad, and love the syncing thing. You just need the Kindle apps on the Ipad and Iphone, log in with your kindle account details and then it syncs the page whenever you open the app, so long as your devices are all connected to Wifi or 3G (you can turn it off on the Kindle to save the batteries).

bran Sun 10-Jul-11 12:19:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RoundOrangeHead Mon 11-Jul-11 17:08:00

I've just been looking at the Nook and I am now envy looks MUCH better than the Sony or Kindle

www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?PID=35699&cds2Pid=38496#productimg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now