Talk

Advanced search

You know how annoying it is when the kindle edition costs more than the paperback?

(19 Posts)
inthesticks Mon 09-May-11 17:01:02

Often it seems the kindle version is more expensive than the paperback at first and then the price drops after a week or two.
I've discovered this website that tracks the price for you. If you register and "watch" a book they will e mail you when the price goes down. I've just added a list.

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 26-May-11 15:36:16

I know publishers still have to cover publicity blah blah, but this really annoys me. A kindle book is NOT the same as a hard copy - apart from the zero production costs, you can't pass it on to anyone else to read so it's taking the p* when it's the same price or even worse, more expensive on kindle. Esp with 3 for 2 offers at book shops.angry

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 26-May-11 15:36:51

Good tip about the website though, so thanks !

TrillianAstra Sun 29-May-11 13:09:41

Good tip - thanks!

ScrotalPantomime Thu 02-Jun-11 15:53:31

Quick price question... I was in a shop talking about ereaders today, as I'm weighing up between the cheaper Sony and the kindle. I know you're limited to amazon on the kindle but I was wondering about the free books - the ones that are too old for copyright, dickens etc (I've got lots on iBooks) - can you get them free for kindle?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 02-Jun-11 15:55:34

There are hundreds of free, classic books available on Kindle. smile

Debs75 Thu 02-Jun-11 15:58:56

We just got a kindle free with dd's contract phone. Is it worth me registering it and putting books on it or selling it for £60.
The books I would like are the 'classics' and the 'top 100 books you should of read' type books

BelleEnd Thu 02-Jun-11 16:00:48

I am shocked at how many free books there are on kindle. Am reading MR James ghost stories now, and keeping myself up...

Thanks for the link OP

inthesticks Thu 02-Jun-11 16:27:32

There are 1000s of books for kindle. Just browse the amazon website. All the out of copyright classics are free along with lots of modern stuff.
Some of the free books are from new or less well known authors who want use it as a promotional tool.
Beware there is a lot of junk and a lot of religeous stuff in thinly disguised form.
The website mentioned above does a regular e mail of all newly posted free books on amazon.

ScrotalPantomime Thu 02-Jun-11 16:27:55

Ah thats great. The lady I spoke to seemed to be implying that you could only get free ones elsewhere (ie not on amazon)

Thanks smile

inthesticks Thu 02-Jun-11 16:28:11

I meant 1000s of free books.

Debs75 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:30:50

1000's of free books has sold me think i will keep the kindle and put as much free stuff as i can on it

TrillianAstra Thu 02-Jun-11 17:02:10

Lots of out of copyright books here - and most of them come in a nice kindle format (not just pdf)

tribpot Thu 02-Jun-11 17:04:18

Which contract offers a free Kindle, Debs75?

ScrotalPantomime Thu 02-Jun-11 19:49:20

Thanks.
Have decided on the Kindle, and DH has out of the blue absolutely insisted he's getting it tomorrow. Despite the fact that my birthday isn't until December. He wants to say thank you for looking after him for so long (he's injured and I've had to get a job instead, etc) - he insisted on it. Who am I to say no, eh? smile

irishqueen Thu 02-Jun-11 20:01:13

Join the kindlw thread then scrote! We are aLl swapping books x

irishqueen Thu 02-Jun-11 20:01:14

Join the kindlw thread then scrote! We are aLl swapping books x

ScrotalPantomime Thu 02-Jun-11 21:54:10

How do you swap ebooks? confused

Debs75 Sat 04-Jun-11 11:07:45

I got DD a blackberry on Orange from carphone warehouse, 200 mins, unlimited txt and internet for £20 a month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now