Talk

Advanced search

What is the last book you downloaded and what are you reading today?

(26 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 08-May-11 13:18:47

Just wondered as I've been downloading a few books this weekend in preparation for reading on our holiday <searches for hopeful emoticon>

The last book I downloaded was the Stolen Child and I've just started Corduroy Mansions

So was wondering what other MNers are downloading and reading.

PositiveAttitude Sun 08-May-11 13:36:17

The last book i downloaded was "The Slap" and despite all the wonderful reviews I thought it was absolutely awful!
Now reading "Animal Farm", really lovely reading a book I studied at school as a child and reading it again now. Really not a challenging read, but i am being nostalgic.

Slubberdegullion Sun 08-May-11 14:32:33

Room by Emma Donoghue. Just downloaded it today. Is most intriguing so far.

belindarose Sun 08-May-11 14:34:59

Just finished 'Heartstone' by C.J.Samson and immediately downloaded 'The Red Queen' by Philippa Gregory. In the mood for easy historical fiction this week. I bet DD will wake up from her nap the second I start it.

PositiveAttitude Sun 08-May-11 15:41:22

"Room" is brilliant, Slubber - loved it!

Slubberdegullion Sun 08-May-11 17:58:37

I'm really enjoying it so far PositiveAttitude, if enjoying is the right word.
<hoping like mad for a happy ending>

nannynick Sun 08-May-11 19:36:50

Last downloaded: The Stolen Child
Currently reading: 13 Little Blue Envelopes

NorkilyChallenged Mon 09-May-11 17:07:02

Last downloaded: The Game by Diana Wynne Jones
Currently reading: One of our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde

electricslide Mon 09-May-11 19:32:18

Just downloaded the Llife of Pi ( free the other day) and am reading Water for Elephants.

BitOfFun Mon 09-May-11 19:41:51

I read SJ Watson's Before I Go To Sleep last week, and just heard an interview with the author on Radio 2- it's their book club book this week. I loved it- thoroughly recommend it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 11-May-11 14:47:24

Just thought I'd do an update. Have download Grimms Fairy tales. Started reading them to the children last night and DS can't get enough, although I strongly suspect this has more to do with him finally getting up close with my Kindle than the actuall stories grin

Spudulika Thu 19-May-11 17:41:31

Have just downloaded Birth Matters by Ina May Gaskin and am loving having it on my Kindle!

Also downloaded Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, and the short story collection which picks up on the characters from Crimson Petal and the White.

transferbalance Wed 25-May-11 16:32:21

just downloaded The Memory of Love and finished Pigeon English

Summerbird73 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:32:16

Just downloaded Jane Eyre and This Fine Life (although i have had to email kindle support as they havent yet appeared on my kindle - from yesterday hmm )

Currently reading The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox and loving it.

i started reading Room but couldnt get into it - could those who love it spur me on please? i cant get past the baby talk - does this continue through the book?

Grumpla Fri 10-Jun-11 20:14:29

Strong Poison, after a thread on MN. It was GREAT! Light not fluffy detective novel.

hester Sun 12-Jun-11 23:25:38

Am currently reading Annabel. Before that: Great House, The Help, Never Let Me Go, Room, One Day, The Little Stranger and Wolf Hall.

I love my kindle smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 10:54:21

There are some great suggestions on here, thanks for posting everyone.

I'm currently reading The Ice Princess which was free when I downloaded it but seems to be £4.99 now shock.

The last book I downloaded was When God was a Rabbit which I really should be reading as its for the book club I've just started going to.

PrinceHumperdink Sat 18-Jun-11 01:18:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoubleNegativePanda Sat 18-Jun-11 03:52:15

Covet by J.R. Ward. Not very much like The Black Dagger Brotherhood, it seems.

LetThereBeRock Tue 05-Jul-11 22:40:47

I've just downloaded Confessions of A GP,and The Little Princess/The Secret Garden because I'm a big kid.

I'm currently reading The Phantom of Valletta.

BitOfFun Tue 05-Jul-11 22:48:57

Amazon have got their summer Kindle sale on now. I have downloaded about thirty books blush, to the point where the bank has frozen my card for too many small transactions- eek!

I've downloaded a mixture of crime thrillers, popular science, humour and a couple of heavy-hitting literary novels. At 99p each, it's a good opportunity to grab stuff you might not chance otherwise.

I try to stick to stuff with lots of user reviews at four stars or above, and steer clear of anything too chick-litty or romance-based.

BitOfFun Tue 05-Jul-11 22:51:05

Oh, and I noticed that Elizabeth Haynes Into the Darkest Corner is now 99p, and that was well worth reading at full price.

ScarletOHaHa Tue 05-Jul-11 22:56:43

last downloaded 4 books in Game of Thrones series - currently reading Book 2 and I love it.
Recently finished the entire Harlan Coren back catalogue - if you like crime thrillers/ whodunnits you will enjoy these. Jo Nesbo great too.

Loved 'The Help'.

Anyone recommend free kindle books?

amicissima Fri 22-Jul-11 14:39:37

BitOfFun, I've just discovered that the way round the small transactions on your credit card is to buy yourself an Amazon gift voucher.

Have it emailed to you (I used the same address as I've registered to Amazon, no problems), click on 'Redeem Now' on the email and it will be applied to your account. Even with 1-click ordering, the balance on your gift voucher will be used bit by bit before your credit card gets charged.

There's always a way to give Amazon more of your money!

mspotatochip Fri 22-Jul-11 20:18:18

reading karin slaughter fallen and just downloaded lisa gardner love me more. So addictive. Must look for little princess / secret garden

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now