Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in a travelling job where they don't pay all your mileage?

(16 Posts)
Easy Thu 18-Aug-05 19:44:57

I've got an interview for a six month contract, urgent start if I'm selected. they won't pay me as a contractor (which I'm more used to), insist I must work as an employee. So O.k., I can live with that.

The job will involve travel, and the details I've been sent say that they will not pay mileage for the first 50 miles of each journey, 25p per mile after that (which is a bit stingey anyway).

So by my reckoning, if they send me more than 25 miles from home, I'm nearly 2 gallons of petrol down, = £10 which would = £50 a week!

The salary rate is O.K. ish, but not great, and I have another interview lined up next week, for a none traveling job.
Thoughts please?

bobbybob Thu 18-Aug-05 20:08:39

Hey, don't forget the insurance, tax and general wear and tear and increased servicing on all those 50 miles.

I have never travelled 50 miles to work - so I don't see how this is fair.

If you are an employee - any chance of a company car?

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 20:09:41

Sounds like a have to me! As bobbybob pointed out: tax, wear and tear, servicing, time, insurance, increased chance of being in an accident, time, etc.

Easy Thu 18-Aug-05 20:12:56

No company car, they are looking to set on 12 trainers for a 6 month contract. Most companies do this on a freelance basis, which is much more fair (you can take your out-of-pocket expenses out before calculating your tax liability).

This condition rings warning bells in my head.

Milge Thu 18-Aug-05 20:33:09

thanks but no thanks would be my response. you are not a charity!

Orinoco Thu 18-Aug-05 21:29:57

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Thu 18-Aug-05 21:57:17

eff off is my reaction easy! 50 miles isn't a reasonable to and from travel to work unless YOU choose it! So nah, wouldn't go for it personally.

WideWebWitch Thu 18-Aug-05 21:58:08

See if you get it and THEN negotiate re the mileage? That's what I'd do I think.

Easy Fri 19-Aug-05 09:41:10

Thats what I'm planning WWW. Either they pay proper mileage, or I don't do it.

The client is a large consultancy company, working on behalf of a public body, and TBH I've had unreasonable offers from them in the past.

If they want my 20 years experience in the business they'll pay for it, if they won't pay, they don't get me.

mancmum Fri 19-Aug-05 10:03:37

you can claim 40p per mile from Inland Revenue minus what company gives you for the first 10,000 miles if they are business miles and then 25p/mile less contribution for the remainder -- so not as out of pocket as you might think?

mancmum Fri 19-Aug-05 10:04:21

sorry meant to say the tax back on the cost... I do 15000 business miles a year and get about 1200 quid tax back after the company pay me 12p per mile

mancmum Fri 19-Aug-05 10:05:14

and I would say that a consultancy will without a shadow of a doubt be claiming all the mileage from the public sector so seems cheeky to me -- I would push for it!

Easy Fri 19-Aug-05 10:37:21

Yep, mancmum and Orinoco,

I do know about the tax reclaim, but that won't be reclaimable until the next tax return, so I would be out of pocket until then.

Apparently the company's justification for this is that 'most people don't get paid to travel to work', and they reckon that the average commute is 50 miles a day, which I can't believe, not as the average.

acnebride Fri 19-Aug-05 10:43:11

Even if it is the average, why on earth should you pay out just because some people choose/have to live hundreds of miles from work?

Easy Fri 19-Aug-05 11:03:48

After all that, just got a call to say the project is shelved !

Maybe I'm not the only one who won't take it on those terms?

Gi's a job .....

WideWebWitch Sat 20-Aug-05 08:16:27

Tossers ay? 50 miles can't be an average, what a load of old cobblers. Hope you find something soon Easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now