Talk

Advanced search

Leaving jobshare and don't know how to tell my jobshare colleague - help!!

(3 Posts)
EmilyJane Fri 12-Aug-05 13:40:53

I am currently working in the public sector and work three days per week. I have only being doing this job in a job share arrangement for the past eight months.Last week, I was offered a new job in a different organisation. I have not handed in my notice yet, as the organisation where I have been offered a new job share arrangement cannot confirm my hours yet. Providing I can get the hours I want, I intend to hand in my notice next week. I have been really bored in my current job, and although the money is better than my new job it will mean more career opportunities. My problem is that I am feeling very guilty about what will happen to my current job share colleague. The jobshare arrangement was set up by my organisation quite reluctantly as it is a post that has previously not been worked in this wasy. We have had to demonstrate that it works. I am worried that they will not find anyone else to work my hours. Any advice as to how I should tell my colleague I am leaving and yet still remain friends?

KBear Fri 12-Aug-05 13:47:31

I have worked a job-share for nearly 7 years with the same person. I think you have to do what is right for you but be honest with your jobshare colleague and give her as much notice as possible.

Caligula Fri 12-Aug-05 13:58:49

I think I would tell her over coffee and say that you've thought about how she can present to them that this arrangement has worked, and that they need to contine it by recruiting someone else. You can offer to help her draw up a list of reasons why it's working well and needs to be continued, and a job spec for the post to be advertised ASAP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now