Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can anyone answer this question?

(7 Posts)
northerner Tue 09-Aug-05 16:33:22

If you work for a company and regularly travel overseas, recently traveling alone to Athens, and you take ill whilst there and end up overnight in hospital with the bill toatalling aprox €1000, then your boss tries to claim on your insurance only to realise it expired 3 weeks before the incident who's responsibility is this?

Employer pays for insurance, but is claiming it is responsibility of employee to ensure they are covered at time of travel.

should employer pay the bill or employee?

Mo2 Tue 09-Aug-05 16:38:41

If you are a full time employee I would say it is the employer's responsibility to have insurance for you.

If you are freelance/ a contracter then I would imagine it might be yours?

northerner Tue 09-Aug-05 16:39:50

Thanks Mo. Do you know where I could find this in writing? Any websites?

ScummyMummy Tue 09-Aug-05 16:42:51

I'd be astonished if it wasn't the employer's responsibility... unless, as Mo2 says, the person is a freelancer.

northerner Tue 09-Aug-05 16:47:09

Not a freelancer. Full time member of staff.

runtus Tue 09-Aug-05 17:25:07

Here you go http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf.

Your employer is still responsible under their Employers Liability Insurance and should, under law, have adequate insurance cover for you whilst you are travelling on business.

Sounds like your employer is trying to wriggle out of their commitments as they have now discovered their mistake....If you need to prove it, the CAB will help you out.

northerner Tue 09-Aug-05 17:27:55

Thanks Runtus! That's just what I wnated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now