Talk

Advanced search

what do I do?

(10 Posts)
KemalsStilletto Sun 07-Aug-05 17:33:07

I work 2 days a week, Monday and Thursdays, both 10am - 3pm. I get paid 4.00 per hour and no national insurance or tax is organised to be taken out. My employer is on holiday for 2 weeks starting tomorrow and has got a man who has worked there before to operate the shop and told me that come in as usual on Monday, but on Thursday just come to check if Gordon needs you if the shop is busy. If not then go home. He said this on Thursday! Such short notice I will be coming home with next to nothing and I'm praying Gordon does need me on Thurday or I will be sooo broke! Is he taking the piss by reducing my hours like that for just 2 weeks? Should I look for another job really quickly? He does work me hard in the shop, but I love meeting and serving the customers.

jampots Sun 07-Aug-05 17:52:27

first of all arent you earning less than the minimum wage anyway? and secondly if you are contracted to work 2 days then Im afraid I would go in for 2 days or at least make sure they know they have to pay you for them

Tortington Sun 07-Aug-05 17:56:45

is this the key cutting shop - or am i getting mixed up? kemal - didnt you ask about this before? sorry if not

you should definatley get another job - the mans taking the piss

Lizita Sun 07-Aug-05 18:15:18

Did he ask you to come to the shop on Thursday to see if you're needed? That sounds extremely cheeky to me, let alone the other stuff.

KemalsStilletto Sun 07-Aug-05 18:39:50

Yep, I am on the minimum wage unfortunately didn't think to ask before I started, assuming it would be the minimum wage and that goes up to 5.05 in October anyway, so thought it would be ok. I don't have a contract but yes, we agreed on 5 hrs monday and 5 hrs thursday. And yes, he has asked me to pop in on Thursday just to see if Gordon will need me. I live about a 20 min walk from the shop, so not far and I get the bus anyway, but all the same i'm a bit angry that he can just tell me he might not need me on that day. I do have bills to pay and a bus ticket to buy. I'm thinking of going in Thurs anyway and just making myself busy?

Lizita Sun 07-Aug-05 19:21:52

What about child care? Don't you have to organise that as well?

KemalsStilletto Sun 07-Aug-05 19:28:34

nope, don't have any kids of my own. just a step son and he lives with his daddy most of the time and only comes to me when I am not working anyway.

Skribble Mon 08-Aug-05 01:56:47

It all seems a bit underhand, no NI or Tax, I'm sure minimum wage is more than £4. I think is ducking responsibilities of an employer. Your probably not ensured as an employee either.

I would phone on Wednesday or first thing Thur but I wouldn't go in to see.

SaintGeorge Mon 08-Aug-05 02:20:19

Minimum wage is £4.85 (18-21 it is £4.10) so you are getting ripped off.

Nothing underhand about Tax and NI issue as at those hours it comes under the threshold - even at the correct minimum wage rate.

nightowl Tue 09-Aug-05 02:00:11

leave leave leave..nothing but trouble will come from working for people like that. (from experience)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now