Talk

Advanced search

BREAK ENTITLEMENTS-ANYONE KNOW.........................

(12 Posts)
hamster Wed 03-Aug-05 09:07:06

A friend of mine is having a few problems with his boss, no-one is quite sure who is right and who is wrong though.

He has been employed by the same small business for approx 2 years.
He works 5am until 3.30-4pm Monday to Friday, (10.5-11 hours daily)
Currently gets breaks; ciggie @ 7am(5mins), ciggie @10am(5mins), and Lunch(15-20 mins) @ 2pm.

I told him I'd look into it for him, but all I can find is "at 6 hours and over you are entitled to 20 minutes break"

Anyone know for sure?
Thanks!

Windermere Wed 03-Aug-05 09:25:01

Yeah you are right. Therefore he is receving the right amount of breaks although it might not seem a lot.

hamster Wed 03-Aug-05 09:27:01

I know, it seems so little for such a long day.
It must be frustrating for him, as so many bigger companies give hour long lunches, plus breaks on top.

It all confuses me!

throckenholt Wed 03-Aug-05 09:27:13

ask the CAB - they should be able to find out for you.

I think there is a rule that 2 hours sitting at a desk should have 10 minutes away from the desk. Not sure that helps much though !

sis Wed 03-Aug-05 11:20:57

Hamster the 20 minutes for every six hours is the law. I am not a health and safety expert but there is a posiibility of arguing that he cannot do his job 'safely' without more/longer breaks.

jamboure Thu 04-Aug-05 20:39:52

law states that if you work 4 hours you are entitled to a 15 min PAID break

I work at the moment mon-fri 7.30-3.30 i get a 15 min paid break around 9.30 30 mins unpaid lunch break around 11.30 and another paid 15 around 1.30

Deffo see cab they will advise his break entitlement

JulieF Fri 05-Aug-05 23:01:01

Are you sure its a paid break jamboure, if so can you refer me to the relevant legistlation as I was certain it was unpaid.

jamboure Sat 06-Aug-05 18:33:59

15 mins paid deffo, we were given the employee law legislation during our induction, which states the company must comply

tiffini Sat 06-Aug-05 18:46:01

I agree with jamboure, I used to be a head of department, and those were the rules on breaks, as trained by Human Resources.

Janh Sat 06-Aug-05 18:47:54

At Sainsburys, if you work:

4 hours you get no break
4½ to 6 (I think) you get 15 or 20 mins (paid)
6 to 7 (again I think) you get 30 mins (paid), plus 1 15 min tea break (also paid)
8 hours plus you get 1 hour unpaid plus 2 15 min tea breaks (ie only 7 hours pay, same as a 7 hour shift)

If I have that right then 7 hours would be a dream shift, wouldn't it! (I don't think they exist though - lots of people do 4 hours, 6 hours or 8-9 hours)

hamster, your friend's hours sound crap - I had assumed Sainsburys were standard but perhaps they're more generous than I realised?

spacecadet Sat 06-Aug-05 19:42:30

blimey where i worked before having dd2, if i worked a late shift 2-9pm, i only got 20 mins unpaid break and if a long day, 2 lots of 20 mins if lucky, both unpaid, a night shift, 9-8am would only allow 1 hour unpaid break, bearing oin mind that i quite often worked these shifts with no break at all.but the hospital policy stated that all breaks were unpaid,

JulieF Sat 06-Aug-05 20:40:14

I've just checked the relevant legislation on both the DTI and ACAS website. There is an entitlement to a 20 minute rest break if you work 6 hours or more but it does not have to be paid unless your employment contract states that rest breaks are paid.

I thought that was the case as anywhere I have ever woked lunch breaks have been unpaid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now