Talk

Advanced search

Starting a business

(13 Posts)
moozoboozo Sun 31-Jul-05 19:38:14

I have an idea for a business, and I really don't know where to start. I have no savings as such, would I need any? Ann as for a business plan, I wouldnt have a clue. Has anyone got any advice, or maybe a recommendation of someone I can contact.

Sorry the details are a bit sketchy, I haven't quite finalised them in my head yet!!!!!!

hunkermunker Sun 31-Jul-05 19:40:29

Have a look at the Business Link website - and good luck!

moozoboozo Sun 31-Jul-05 19:42:26

Cheers HM. Mwah xxxxxxx

Berries Sun 31-Jul-05 19:42:30

try here , if you contact them someone will go through all the requirements with you.
You will need some savings for start up costs - insurances etc - sorry can't help more without any idea of the business type but the business link people should be able to point you in the right direction

Berries Sun 31-Jul-05 19:42:58

ok - too slow

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 19:43:34

Hello

I can email you as business plan template if you like, Princes Trust helped me start my business up contact me so i can email it over to you.

Are you unemployed at the moment? If you have been unemployed for more than 6 months and have a business idea then your local job centre can put you in touch with a Business Start Up shceme to get you going.

Good luck!

Ps I had no money either!

moozoboozo Sun 31-Jul-05 19:50:18

Hi lovecloud. my email is michelleodoherty81@hotmail.com

I gave up my job 8 months ago before I had DS, but I was planning to go back (I actually handed my notice in, but was asked to go back again) does that count?

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 19:58:02

Few tips before you get going.

Sit down with friends and family and tell them your business idea, ask for their honest opinions, if they all think its rubbish you will need to have a rethink, if they get excited then you know your onto something.

Discussing it with friends can give you so many ideas to move it on, it really helps.

Talk about how you would market it, who would be your customers, would any of your friends be interested in it? Would they, buy or use it?

What would you need to get going, how much money? Do you know anyone interested in investing some money, could you get a business loan?

First think you need to do is sit down and start your business plan, contact me asap and i can email you a template, the have a meeting with friends/family, arrange dinner and talk around dinner.

You need to see if it actually interest people, who are your competitors, how do they market themselves?

How many are in your area, whats areas do you plan to cover.

Best ways of marketing
FRIENDS & FAMILY
WORD OF MOUTH
WEBSITE
LISTING ON WEBSITE DIRECTORIES
PHONE DIRECTORIES
NETWORKING
BUSINESS CARDS
LEAFLETS
ADVERTS
IT GOES ON AND ON

Your business will not survive without good constant marketing.

moozoboozo Sun 31-Jul-05 20:05:01

Thanks lovecloud. You have given me some food for thought xxxx

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 20:17:21

Hi

Just sent it

x

lovecloud Sun 31-Jul-05 22:09:16

Hi

Did you get the email i sent?

Let me know if you need furter help.

anchovies Sun 31-Jul-05 22:14:40

If you contact business link they will put you in touch with a business advisor. They are brilliant for practical stuff and helping with the business plan etc.

I have recently set up a consultancy and have a fair amount of experience previous to this with start-up businesses so if you want me to look through your business plan or any advice on what to do at each stage feel free to cat me.

Skribble Mon 01-Aug-05 00:03:10

Check out if there are any grants availible business link should advise you.
Start Ups (good forum once you have a better idea of what you want to do, their not so helpful with general questions)
Woman into Business
BBC

Have a google for business plans
NewBusiness plan
Bplans.com

What kind of business are you looking at, retail manufacture, catering? Is it based around a hobby? If it is don't under estimate your time involved in producing items as people often don't factor for this in plans and end up with a very low rate of return compared with hours put in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: