Talk

Advanced search

Ilegal understaffing.

(8 Posts)
Smurfgirl Sat 30-Jul-05 16:37:50

I work in a residential care home for the elderly. Yesterday there were 2 staff for the 35 residents in the part of the home I work in. There were 3 staff working on the other side and they helped where they could, but they also had 35 residents to deal with.

We both worked very hard and did everything that needed doing, but its not fair is it? Our residents did not get the care they deserved. I came home with an aching back. On top of our normal residents, we have 3 very sick bedridden residents who need regular turning/feeding. So I had to do that on my own because the other girl had to do meds.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to ring social services, but I want where I work to know how unfair this is. Two girls had rang in sick, and it was the same girls that ALWAYS ring in and nothing ever gets done. I am leaving soon (unrelated) should I comment in my resignation letter? Or go see my manager? I am just sick of having to do SO much when people are getting away with doing nothing.

nailpolish Sat 30-Jul-05 16:40:32

are you a member of a union?

you should get in touch with NMC or something

Smurfgirl Sat 30-Jul-05 16:45:35

No union. We don't provide nursing care so NMC is not appropriate.

If I was to contact social services it would come back to me, and if it resulted in the home being shut down then the residents would really suffer and I don't want that. It is a good home just badly staffed.

colditz Sun 31-Jul-05 00:30:57

1 - Does the manger know that these two had rung in sick? Was the manager informed by whoever took the phonecall?

2 - If the manager did know, were reasonable steps taken to cover the shift, ie other staff phoned?

3 - The minimum staffing requirement, I believe, is 1 member of staff for ever 10 residents. So you were originally legally staffed, but this became illegal when you were left with two staff as opposed to four, which was the legal minimum.

4 - Do you have a whistle blowing policy? You should. Try looking on the staff notice board, in the care office, or in the policies folder - you should have a policy folder!

5 - I think if you contact the social Services, the first thing they will do is have an unannounced inspection. If the manager gets pulled up for not staffing adequately, that is the manager's problem. They know the bloody law. They are quite capable of ringing a care agency, or sacking inadequate staff.

Please do ring someone. It is not normal to have such appalling staff crises in a residential home, we don't and we are not a posh one! The residents won't suffer, because the home is unlikely to be shut down. The manager will be threatened with court for professional neglect of vulnerable adults, and they will suddenly employ 5 new members of staff. Miraculous,hey [sarcy face].

I really know how your day must have been!!!!

Poor Smurfgirl!

Smurfgirl Sun 31-Jul-05 12:35:56

1 - Deputy manager knew but had to leave because she hurt her ankle. We expected the other deputy manager to come in to help, but she didn't. The owner was in and she saw and was shocked.

2 - Every single member of staff was rang. Nobody. We don't use agencys so if nobody will come in thats it.

I am going to complain when I get back, we are due for an inspection so it should happen soonish anyway. Understaffing is a problem for us always, and until Thursday we had 5 staff that couldn't lift, meaning on many shifts there were only two lifters so its hard hard work.

Thanks for your help

colditz Sun 31-Jul-05 13:10:54

hello again....

if you have a "No Lift" policy, they have to provide enough staff to implement that. If you have a lifting policy, they have to provide enough physically capable staff for that too.

This will sound harsh, but don't bugger your back up for any 90 year old. It could leave you crippled, nobody is worth that!

jamboure Thu 04-Aug-05 20:42:26

I would advise social service, what gives places like this nursing home the right to treat people this way.

Staff are clearly overworked and very underpaid and the residents normally have to pay a fortune for their care.

lalaa Thu 04-Aug-05 20:45:22

there are health and safety issues too - providing enough staff to do the lifting is important. they are not taking their H&S responsibilities towards you as a member of staff seriously if you are being expected to do all the lifting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now