Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant and wanna go sick

(10 Posts)
horseshoe Wed 06-Jul-05 16:14:27

OK.....Heres the problem...

I have posted numerous time about the office I work in and I have also made numerous complaints to managers etc etc...

Anyway things never really improve and mostly it's just personal bullying....not bothering to say hello.....talking about you etc etc...

I am 3 months pregnant and at the stage where I dont want to have to put up with this anymore...Im crying almost everynight.

I earn a good wage and know I cant get another job but I'm having problems thinking it's only till December and then Mat leave...

I am seriously stressed now and I have spoken to managers about it...the latest instalment resulted in a nasty argument that I got dragged into cause I sit next to the girl involved and a manager emailed me this...

"I believe ?? heard that ?? had been saying things about her so I think its her way of getting back ... don't quote me on this thou .. am going to talk to ?? tomorrow.

I think the office gossip is getting bad and am worried that there could be a division in the office ... i will think of a way of dealing with it .. trouble with saying stuff about people in any environment is that it always gets back to the person involved one way or another and probably exaggerated 100 times .."

Anyway....sometimes I get spoken to others I dont and I just cant cope with it anymore....

Does anyone know what my legal reasons would be if I asked my doctor to put me on sick??

horseshoe Wed 06-Jul-05 16:22:29

Sorry...I just need to add that I suffer from severe anxiety and have panic attacks.....I am under control with them at the moment and do not want to have to cope with them whilst pregnant.

lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 16:25:52

I went sick when preggers but that was due to high blood pressure, I was on a rolling contract which had been renewed when I was off sick. Basically the company I worked for tried to renege on the deal, I had to get a union involved and threaten leagal action before they gave in. So before you do it make sure you have covered all bases and it will be less stressful.

Flamesparrow Wed 06-Jul-05 16:26:50

I got signed off with "stress" quite a few times when I was pregnant with DD...

It wasn't bullying, I just wasn't coping with exhaustion, sickness and the evil nurse, and I ended up crying on my doctor about it.

I don't know if stress would cover you - possibly not for the whole pregnancy, but a couple of weeks at a time would give you a break.

dyzzidi Wed 06-Jul-05 16:28:07

I was going to suggest getting signed off with stress for a few weeks to then see how you feel about going back.

It does depend on your sickness benefits as to whether this is worth while financially to you.

horseshoe Wed 06-Jul-05 16:33:24

I think benefits ways it's all good...Full Pay and then half up to 6 months...

I'm more worried about the campaign being stepped up on my return if I was to go stress route...I took a day off with DD the other day and I didn't get spoken to all day....would make a formal complaint but can't prove a thing!

PeachyClair Wed 06-Jul-05 17:45:52

My dh was signed off work for a month with stress when he was bullied similarly by a colleague, it made such a difference and i can imagine it would help you even more if you are pregnant. it prevented a full relapse of the severe depression anxiety he is prone to, and if you are too then you OUGHT to take sick leave as a preventative measure.

nightowl Wed 06-Jul-05 18:40:39

ive just been to a tribunal and as far as im aware, employers cannot hold it against you, being off sick during pg, i was off for two weeks with stress (for same bullying reasons mostly) and it wasnt used in court (and believe me, they used everything they possibly could).

Moomin Wed 06-Jul-05 21:15:52

In teaching, you can be signed off sick up unitl the 34th week unless your sickness is pregnancy-related. After the 34th week you take that as maternity leave. I know you're not a teacher but the mat rules are pretty much the same for non-teachers / clerks, in the same authority etc. so this may be of help?

hanginginthere Wed 06-Jul-05 21:18:26

I think the same non-pg sickness rules apply when you are pg, though I believe nearer your due date, a pregnancy related illness will trigger maternity leave

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now