Talk

Advanced search

Interview advice

(4 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Fri 06-Nov-09 21:31:08

I have an interview next week for a job which is less hours than I currently do, my query is I have only been this job for 3.5mths. My reason for looking elsewhere is basically due to working hrs. On my first day my boss told me she had forgotten to tell me at interview that there was an element of out of hours work needed :1) attendance at a monthly meeting ,2) attendance at a bi monthly training day which runs 8.00am - 7.00pm ish (normal working hrs 9.00-3.00).I work part time for a reason so was really miffed at this but what do you say on your first day??.Needless to say this along with a general lack of support has had me keen to escape, but obviously I want to ensure that if asked my reply is fair and justifiable if you know what I mean. My previous jobs have been long term 5 years with 1 role where I stayed for a year. Is it acceptable to say that my employer now needs more hours than I can offer, and that I have been accommodating this at the moment but long term its not something I can offer???
Any help/comments appreiciated.

Sorry for the waffle/life story!!!

gigglewitch Fri 06-Nov-09 21:35:01

imho you put it well, and yes I think it would be fine to say that your employer now needs more hours than you can offer - what line of work are you applying for?

mammasmadhouse Fri 06-Nov-09 21:46:38

Hi thanks for your reply -its mainly PA/administration not very glamerous I'm afraid!!!

gigglewitch Fri 06-Nov-09 22:04:28

fwiw I think you'd be better being honest - whether you say it at interview or not is up to you - but defo say it before accepting anything. I suppose the more likely scenario is asking why you want to move on after a few months in your current post - don't panic over it because I think you've got it covered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now