Talk

Advanced search

How likely is it that they will do this?? hand holding requirred please

(13 Posts)

DH has just text to say that they have all been called to a meeting at 2pm today. His really worried, they have laid off quite a few staff in the last few months, but there is only him and one other person supporting the whole IT system for the company. Everyone is meeting with their own management. Does this sound as bad as he thinks?? Who they really tell them on Friday and then think they can go back to work, and then worry about it all weekend??
If they do make him redundent, i dont know what we will do. My wages wont cover anything and who's going to employ a man under going chemo??
please tell me it will be something else

cheeseytoastie Fri 06-Nov-09 12:12:08

well, this happened to my dh last week and we were both totalled puzzled and worried what it could be. In the end was announcement of end of non-contributory final salary pension. In his experience notices of redundancy are done in the morning as they are stock-market affecting but I suppose you never know. Hope it is something as boring as pensions.

he doesnt get a pension, he has only been there just over a year and your not allowed one in the first year please let it be pensions. WTF do they do it?? meeting at 2pm?? just tell them and get it over with rather than stress out staff hmm

someone?? anyone?

cheeseytoastie Fri 06-Nov-09 12:21:03

I know. My DH and his colleagues were also v worried re further rounds of redundancies, they had to wait 2.5 hours to meeting. He has also had the same kind of thing re. his contract being moved to another company. I don't know why they can't just say 'meeting in 10 mins' but I suppose if people are away at other meetings they need to have a chance to get back etc. It's really crap.

CMOTdibbler Fri 06-Nov-09 12:27:13

We had one of these a few weeks back, and the company announced a round of redundancies.

Can your DH register his condition as a disability ? That can give him a better chance in job hunting if it comes to that as it then can't be used against him during recruitment

how do you register as a disability?
They have already had 2 rounds of redundancies, first time was all the staff they could get by without, or thiose that were inaffective, and then 2 weeks ago it was the drivers
Not sure how they could run a company with no IT support though hmm fingers crossed

CMOTdibbler Fri 06-Nov-09 13:15:41

Seems I'm a bit out of date, in that the green card scheme went away in 1995 when the DDA came in, but local councils still register people. You can find details on their website.

Friend of mine has depression, and once he registered it with HR, he was told that sick leave associated with his depression could not be used against him in a redundancy round, or when applying for promotion etc

mabh Fri 06-Nov-09 13:25:01

lisa yup it stinks, doesn't it? Hang on to the fact that their IT dept is rather small - improves DH's chances dramatically.

It could be anything, not necessarily all bad or bad for you.

Good luck

wish 2pm would hurry up and get here!

this is like pulling teeth waiting fotr this call. My nails have all been bitten to the quick

ilove Fri 06-Nov-09 15:20:05

Any news?

he called at 3.30pm. forgot to call me hmm, another round of redundencies, but for warehouse staff, so his ok for now but maybe have to change from 9-5 to shifts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now