Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

compressed hours

(5 Posts)
SoftFroggie Thu 16-Jun-05 15:35:32

Does anyone work "compressed hours"? e.g. do 5 days work in 4 days? how do the long days (9.5 working hours) work? what are your timings? do you rely on DP on those days?

many thanks.

Skribble Fri 17-Jun-05 23:56:06

I don't work as regular as that but in one of my jobs I sometimes do 4/ 5 days in a row of 16hr shifts then nothing for ages and then the odd 12 and 5 hr shift. Troble is because the hours are irregular I do other work in between and have no routine. I am getting to old for those shifts now

The regular 4 days instead of 5 sounds good if you can work child care around it.

SoftFroggie Sat 18-Jun-05 09:49:25

Thanks for your response. Your work sounds very irregular - I don't know how I'd cope with that -I'd descend into chaos! You must have bags of energy and be very organised.

I'm thinking of doing 3 days' work (22.5hrs) in 2.5 days, so one morning (3.5 hrs) and two longer days (9.5 hrs). Childcare would be a nanny, so more flexible, and I have zero travel time to work. However, I'm concerned about managing the longer days. Not sure how much break I need to take - do I have to have 1 hr of breaks during the day, so to do 10.5 hrs including breaks, i.e. 8 till 6:30 or similar.

Anyone else any experience?

Skribble Sat 18-Jun-05 22:20:39

Are you wanting to know what you are legaly entitled to or what you would physically need? Are you working for a company or yourself?

If you can organise the days you are working it gives loads of time with the kids on days off so its ideal. I have to admit I am neither organised or have bags of energy I just keep trying to do the best I can.

Even when working normal length days you get in late and kids are either in bed or on the way so coming in after they are asleep or leaving early doesn't make much difference anyway. Yor not missing "quality" time, just that grumpy bedtime time .

Are you able to choose your hours?

SoftFroggie Sun 19-Jun-05 19:22:02

I'm currently employed by a big co to work 3 days (7.5 hrs excl breaks) per week, but on mat leave at the mo. I'm thinking of asking to change to the pattern I described when I return for a couple of reasons (childcare and avoiding unpaid overtime), but not quite got my head round how the timings would work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now