Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working request - where was that thread?

(8 Posts)
america Thu 29-Oct-09 13:16:15

I'll be made redundant but have to work for the consultation and notice. How should I ask to work four-day week only when returning to work?

flowerybeanbag Thu 29-Oct-09 13:29:33

Not sure what thread you mean, and the search facility doesn't seem to be working at the moment unfortunately.

So are you in a consultation period at the moment or have you actually been given notice, i.e. confirmed that you are redundant and given a termination date?

Either way, unless you're on a very long notice period, we're not talking about much time at all really. You can make a flexible working request - that's for a permanent change to your t&cs which obviously would be fine for you- but the problem is the amount of time the process may take. You'd probably be better off speaking to your manager about it straightaway and seeing whether your request can be agreed quickly without going through the procedure.

america Thu 29-Oct-09 13:49:02

Mmm, my memory fails here, maybe there wasn't a thread on this.

I have been informed that my job is at risk and made to understand that my consultation period (one month as there are less than 100 of us made redundant) will start once I return to work from maternity leave. I have one-month notice which I will be required to work and I basically am not ready to go back to work full time. I'll speak to my boss to see what can be done. Thanks.

flowerybeanbag Thu 29-Oct-09 14:08:02

If you've already been informed that your job is at risk why is now not the consultation period?

Consultation is about setting out the proposals for a restructuring or redundancy programme, and getting feedback from employees affected about the proposal, including about the criteria that will be used to select people for redundancy. It would normally start at the time the announcement of jobs being at risk was made. Then once consultation is over, selection criteria should be applied and notice given to those who are in fact redundant.

It would be strange to tell people that a consultation period will start x weeks down the line, as all you get then is a bunch of disgruntled, unsettled and unhappy staff for much longer than necessary. Do you know what the delay is about?

america Fri 30-Oct-09 07:00:49

I sincerely have no idea. I'm gutted as I thought that I would just return to be be terminated. They deferred the whole process from April untill I return from maternity leave... I'm the only one made redundant in my team and I do speak to a lawyer who raised the same points as you have on some previous threads concerning pools and criteria but said that there is nothing I can do before they actually DO something.

flowerybeanbag Fri 30-Oct-09 10:08:48

Here's your other thread.

You do give the impression in the other thread that you elected to defer the process yourself rather than them doing it, is that the case?

The other point I would make is that you seem very clear that out of your team, you are the one who is or will be redundant. How are you so sure? If you've actually been told that, in other words selection has already taken place, you then have an argument to make now that as you know definitely that you are to be made redundant, then your notice period should start from the moment you were told that.

america Fri 30-Oct-09 14:14:19

Thanks and sorry, didn't make it clear. Yes, I was given the option to be made redundant in April or to start the process once I'm back from maternity leave. They made it clear that it will be me. Well, I already asked my boss for flexible hours now. Lets see what the boss says.a

flowerybeanbag Sat 31-Oct-09 13:52:26

OK that's a bit different then. I still think you could probably change your mind and make an argument that as you have been told it will be you, you'd prefer to take your notice from the date you were told that and bring your termination date forward, foregoing any 'consultation' process which as you've been told you've been selected seems a bit pointless.

But anyway hopefully your boss will agree to what you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now