Talk

Advanced search

When app;ying for a job can you leave out previous jobs?

(13 Posts)
whichwitchisthis Wed 28-Oct-09 21:17:51

I am currently working parttime as a cleaner, I am on bad terms there at the min and have been called in for a grilling from my boss over sickness although most of this was during pregnancy and then later after an operation so was in one block iykwim

I complained about my manager but got nowhere with it, and have decided to look for a job elsewhere

Would you if you were applying for different jobs (I want to work in a completely different field lol) even bother putting this on your application form

I feel that I will not get a good ref from them anyway and it's not like it's a great job anyway

Also could a potential employer find out I had ommitted this

Thanks in advance smile

hester Wed 28-Oct-09 21:30:01

I think you can omit things but not lie. So you don't strictly have to put this job in, but you couldn't cover it up by, for example, stretching the leaving date of whatever job you had before.

When I am recruiting, one of the first things I do is check dates on the employment history to see that everything adds up and makes sense. If there's any gaps, I'll always ask about that.

I strongly advise you not to lie - on your application or at interview. Usually the best thing is to be honest: don't go into a long 'he said she said', but tell them the job didn't work out and give them a briefish explanation. I would be inclined to say something like, "I had to take a block of sick leave because of pregnancy-related problems and then surgery. Neither of these problems are persistent or likely to recur, but unfortunately my employer did not feel able to keep me in post." Then reinforce how completely reliable you have been in every other job.

stilletoe Wed 28-Oct-09 21:30:46

I see your dilemma. If you are going to miss out your current employment, then you will need to find a good explanation as to what you were doing since your last employment before the cleaning job. Some employers look for gaps in employment and will want to know what you have been doing.

The only other way round this is to inform your boss that you have applied for a job and would they be willing to give you a reference (employers don't have to give you a refernce even if you name them as your referee on your CV or application). You can then ask to see a copy of the reference given for you and discuss any points (if any) in the reference that you are not happy with and get them amicably changed.

annh Thu 29-Oct-09 00:39:34

I would not leave it out because one of the first questions I would ask at an interview is about any unexplained gaps in the CV of an applicant. The application form may also ask for one of your references to be from your most recent employment. I don't see why it's particularly a problem to mention it - there are probably a whole host of reasons why you are looking to change jobs. Depending on what kind of job you are interviewing for, you could say e.g. that you were looking for something that was less manual, something that was full-time (or different hours to the ones which you were cleaning), a progression in your career - all kinds of things.

At this stage, I wouldn't worry about the reference. Many companies now will only give a brief factual reference anyway, stating things like dates of employment, number of sick days etc regardless of how wonderful the employee may have been. I don't agree with Stilletoe that you can ask your employer to change something in your reference - well, you can ask but unless it is factually incorrect, they are under no obligation to change it.

aWitchForLifeNotJustHalloween Thu 29-Oct-09 00:51:06

lol @ your name whichwitch wink

Most employers are very particular about you accounting for any gaps in your employment history. Much better to include it than have them think that you have something dodgy to hide iyswim.

Quattrofangs Thu 29-Oct-09 01:03:49

I think you should include the current job

The issue is one of omission of course and total openness is the best footing to start a new job. Good recruiters will check the gaps.

But even if you pretend not to be employed, the tax paperwork will catch up with you in any event. You'll have to supply a P45 and this will give details of your current employer.

I would say however that your reference should not be prejudicial or defamatory. I mean it won't say stuff like "X is a shirker and we are heartily glad to see the back of her." It's something you could take action against them for. So I wouldn't worry about it to be honest <easier said than done, I know>

whichwitchisthis Thu 29-Oct-09 08:00:23

thanks everyone, I was just going to say for the gap that I had decided to take time out from work to become a stay at home mum and now felt ready to return to work

I wasn't going to bother with giving them my p45 as I won't get taxed anyway as I don't work enough hours iykim

my main thing about the ref I suppose is that when I got grilled over the sickness my boss used basically as an excuse to have a go and I got accused of a lot of stuff that I won't go into now that was not actually true

I really feel that he would put things on my reference to prevent me from getting another job just out of spite, they are not bothered about protocol there I had no risk assessment whilst pregnant despite several requests and when I complained about my boss bullying him is friend (the man whom the complaint ended up with) basically took his word over mine and said that I was a liar! angry

whichwitchisthis Thu 29-Oct-09 08:16:29

it would be a three year gap, my youngest child has just turned one smile

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 29-Oct-09 08:21:51

Tell them the truth -- that you worked throughout your pregnancy which most employers would find amazing, but that while you were willing and optimistic that it would work, fact is that it didn't.

whichwitchisthis Thu 29-Oct-09 08:40:21

thanks I worked through my pregnancy until I was about 20 weeks and then as they refused to gove me a risk assessment or even move me to an area that didn't require me to carry heavy items up and down the stairs (which they could have easily done), I asked my doc to sign me off as I had really bad backache made worse by the lifting etc

after I had had ds I found out I had a hernia and had an op to correct it, I have been slow to return to work, but this is because I do not trust them to carry out a risk assessment or let me have light duties, so I have waited until it is fully healed.

I got called in so my boss could carry on about how much time I had off while I was pregnant, about I week I had to take off cos I had no childcare (MIL let me down, I took it as holiday in the end but apparently this is completely hurrendous) and the fact I didn't need all the time off after my op, even though the doc had signed me off

He tried to make off that I had been off for 14 months sick and taking the mickey, even though nine months of that was maternity leave

I really just feel that he hates me that much he will try his best to stop me from leaving to get a better job but I can't resign cos I need the money, he is a bully sad

fluffles Thu 29-Oct-09 08:52:29

i'd put it in but downplay it

e.g. i'd say Stay at Home Mother with some part-time cleaning work (12hrs a week)

rather than list the employer etc. specifically.

whichwitchisthis Thu 29-Oct-09 09:11:16

ooh that's a good idea fluffles it's not even 12 hours a week only 10!!

But what about the reference they always want one from your most current job?

I have also been working for DH doing his office paperwork unpaid, he can't really give me a reference though can he grin

stilletoe Thu 29-Oct-09 16:07:44

Annh, just to clarify a point, many employers have been taken to ET's by employees for giving them a reference which they belive to be inaccurate. It is now the practice, especially in the city, where if an employee is not happy in their job, or the employers is not happy with the employee, that together they agree a reference.

This does not mean that the reference is inaccurate and it does not mean that the employer has lied on the reference. This is why I used the word "amicablly". Whether you agree with it or not, it happens all the time and reduces the need for grievances and ET's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now