Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

freelancing and tax return and tax credits

(2 Posts)
SarfEasticated Wed 21-Oct-09 20:23:54

Hi there,
Hope you can help. I was made redundant in April and have done some freelance work off and on since June. I have invoiced the company I work for and put 25% away to cover the tax I assume I will have to pay.
We have been getting tax credits since April but I haven't told them about the extra I have earned yet. I am paid very erratically and not very well either, so I doubt I owe them much, and I do fully intend to ring them to fill them in.

I don't know what to do for the best. I have looked on the Tax office website for the self-assessment form but that requires me to have already registered for self-assement, or be self-employed. Should I register myself as self employed, or would that mean that I can't sign on.

Is there anyone I can actually go and see in person?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved!

hatwoman Wed 21-Oct-09 20:32:34

if you are self employed you have to be registered as self-employed and have to pay a small amount of NI every quarter.

you should ring the help-line here - they're pretty helpful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: