Talk

Advanced search

How much work is too much work to take on? Help me decide before I commit to more.

(4 Posts)
nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 20-Oct-09 20:41:34

I work full time for the NHS.

DH was made redundant nearly a year ago We've relocated to be near family support and he is in the process of setting up as self-employed but progress is slow as it's not exactly a good time for his profession. He is a SAHD in the meantime.

We have 2 children 5 and 2.5

5 year old at school. The little one will start nursery after christmas.

I've got the opportunity to work privately two evenings a week. I suspect that there is a lot more opportunity for private work and my entrepreneurial self wants to grab it all and really go with it and see what happens. I really think there would be enough work out there for me to work every evening if i wanted it.

But, obviously the more i work, the less time i have for DH and the kids. I was a SAHM for a few years and know how much I liked it when DH came home and took over the childcare. I would've found it hard if he'd come home for tea and then gone out again for the evening.

It would put a strain on our family undoubtedly but could lead to much more for me professionally and as a family, financially.

It's not really a good time to be turning away work though is it?

Ultimately I would love to work for myself.

Help me mumsnet.

How much is too much?

gallery Tue 20-Oct-09 20:45:30

what does your husband think?
If your gut feeling is go for it, why not. You can try the 2 evenings and decide together if you expand or not. Begin at the beginning, with what you know you can have and see how you manage

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 20-Oct-09 20:54:08

DH thinks it great that I'm doing well but he finds being a SAHD hard and needs my help to catch up on housework in the evenings. And he's frazzled by the kids bedtime, i usually have more patience by that time as I haven't had them all day.

My feeling is that with the extra money we could get help with the housework, but as he works from home he thinks he would find that uncomfortable.

nevergoogledragonbutter Wed 21-Oct-09 10:12:24

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now