Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

verbal offer of employment

(6 Posts)
jay11 Fri 16-Oct-09 14:06:47

Hi there, just a quickie. . .I have been verbally offered a new job. Should I wait for a letter of confirmation before resigning from my current job or can I do so now? I only have to give a weeks notice, but wanted to give more out of courtesy.

jay11 Fri 16-Oct-09 14:10:30

sorry should have said I have been given a start date for my new job so my last day in the current job will be 31 oct.

Lovemyshoes Fri 16-Oct-09 14:12:21

I would personally wait until you have everything in writing.

What is your new job going to be?

jay11 Fri 16-Oct-09 14:15:14

Thanks for that.

I'll be working in a library, so my new employers are the local council.

Singstar Fri 16-Oct-09 14:16:38

Always wait until you have a letter confirming the offer of employment. If the situation were to change ie loss of funding etc they can withdraw the offer and you would be stuck. A letter is an official document which protects you (somewhat) if such a situation were to arise and you had already resigned. HTH and congrats on the new job.

jay11 Fri 16-Oct-09 14:20:23

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Bloomin' council taking ages to send the letter out and I'm feeling guilty every time my current boss asks if i'm happy!

Thanks again for your replies!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: