Talk

Advanced search

help re: applying for teaching post in school i already work at!? HELP!

(12 Posts)
rachyh85 Sun 11-Oct-09 20:05:07

Hi all, im just after a bit of advice from teachers or headteachers or basically anyone who might be able to help me!

Im an NQT, i qualified Aug '08 and have not done any paid teaching yet. As i reached the end of university, the school i had my last placement in (who were aware i didnt want to go straight into teaching while my dc was still v.young) offered me a part time position as a hlta. i worked there all of last year and after a discussion with the head, i came back in september, with the intention of leaving in december to do some supply work so i didnt 'lose touch' with teaching as the main practitioner.

Well... a job has come up as a teacher in the school and the head has asked me to apply for it.

Do i mention in my application things like 'having worked in this school, i am familiar with .... behaviour policy/ethos etc' or do i have to remain anonymous in the sense that i dont refer to the school specifically?

Confused, as i am so familiar with the school, and so UNfamiliar with the application process.

Please help! Application needs to be in on wed! Thanks in advance!

CybilLiberty Sun 11-Oct-09 20:07:29

Of course you should use your experience in the school to big yourself up!

janeite Sun 11-Oct-09 20:09:31

Yes - it is fine and sensible to refer to your specific work in and knowledge of the school. Good luck.

wicked Sun 11-Oct-09 20:12:20

You need to ask for a copy of the job specification and then write on your profile/covering letter how you are a good match for each part of the spec.

I don't think you need to say that you are familiar with the behaviour policy, just describe yourself in such a way that you agree with it (feel passionate about...).

Presumably your pricipal referee will be your current head teacher, and you will list the school in your job history. It's not going to be a secret that you work there.

You are competing with external candidates and if their personal statement is more passionate than yours then the governors will have no qualms about offering it to them.

LowLevelWhingeing Sun 11-Oct-09 20:12:43

Yes, I think it is fine to write about your experience in the school. It would be weird if you pretended you had never been there.

Address each point on the person spec and criteria in the best way you can.

Good luck!

elliepac Sun 11-Oct-09 20:13:12

Already working in the school, puts you in a fantastic position and the fact that the head has asked you to apply for it suggests you have a really good chance. You must mention your experience within the school because it is very relevant to your application, you know what the school is about and how it works. If, for example, it was a straight choice between you and someone else who didn't have that experience it could tip the balance in your favour.
I was doing a term's supply in a school at the beginning of my career, the job came up, i applied and got it. Afterwards, my HOD said that my experience really counted and the fact that they already knew i could actually do the job and i am sure it is the same with you. I've known countless people who are great at interviews but can't actually teach. I am a HOD and last year appointed the person who was good in interview, turned out to be nightmare with huge discipline issues. GO for it. HTH.

Hassled Sun 11-Oct-09 20:17:38

Just to echo what everyone has said. Anything you can say in your application/interview which shows that you understand the school's aims and values will be a good thing.

rachyh85 Sun 11-Oct-09 20:19:27

thanks guys! for the advice and for the reassuring words!

tethersend Sun 11-Oct-09 20:39:03

One tip- when they interview you, pretend you've never met the panel before.

Sounds weird, but you cannot assume they are aware of your achievements and must speak about yourself as if you were at an unfamiliar school, ie list your achievements.

The school obviously know you are good, and want you for the job, but they are required to conduct an equal opportunities interview and will be asking the same questions to each candidate, giving answers a numerical score. Make sure you sell yourself!

Oh, and in a 'what would you do?' scenario/question, just say you would follow school policy. Every time.

Good luck smile

wicked Sun 11-Oct-09 20:56:58

I agree, tethersend.

You have to be as professional as possible in the interview.

You have to come across well and say the right things. You will not be a shoe-in. The only advantage you will have in the actual interview is that you will already know what the correct answers are, but you still need to say them. Don't try to be matey or cliquey with the panel.

If you are asked to teach a lesson, you will be at a huge advantage as you already know the children.

But absolutely do go for it. I have many teacher friends and the ones who were unsuccessful at interview usually came away feeling a bit stronger (at least after a couple of glasses of wine). In teaching, they are very good at giving very constructive feedback to unsuccessful candidates, that will often lead to success at the very next interview.

rachyh85 Sun 11-Oct-09 21:13:50

thanks tethersend and wicked. i have only had one interview for a teaching job before (i've only applied for one! - and didnt get it) but i came away thinking 'why didnt i say that?' i realised that i didnt state the obvious on a few questions that required it... taking it for granted that they would assume i'd already be professional, sensible etc when they gave me scenarios. - i realised from their comments that they needed me to say everything i would do i a scenario, as opposed to the things i would do above (imo) what everyone would do.

ill just have to try and remember all the things i've done in the school - and elsewhere - and remind them if i get the opportunity lol grin

if anyone's interested, ill update in a few days...

thanks

wicked Sun 11-Oct-09 21:33:37

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing your updates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now