Talk

Advanced search

What can I put as a reason for leaving last job on an application form?

(7 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 07-Oct-09 09:57:46

Hi, I have been working at a home for people with learning disabilities for 18 months and two weeks ago I handed in my notice. It wasn't very well paid at all and there was so much ironing to do that each night I had no less that 5 hours worth. Then they decided without telling me that I'd now be working every other friday and saturday night. I only do two shifts a week.
Anyway, I put on the resignation letter that due to a change in cercumstances I'm no longer able to work weekends.
I've found a new job that is the same type of work but is more hours, much better pay, closer to home etc.
I really want this job but I'm not sure what to put as a reason for leaving my last job, as it was basically the same kind of work.
I don't want to appear like it's just for more money or because it was too much like hard work.
What do you think ?

mummyloveslucy Wed 07-Oct-09 10:18:47

bump. smile

OnlyWantsOneFartleBerry Wed 07-Oct-09 10:21:12

I would be honest - Tell the new employer that it was time to move on, how long had you been there for?

Tell them that your previous employers needs changed - and that you could accomodate it.

Good Luck getting the job you want to x x

3littlefrogs Wed 07-Oct-09 10:22:01

I would just say that you were unable to work the specific times that were required due to your other committments and travelling difficulties. Then you can qualify this quite honestly by pointing out that the new job is closer to home and doesn't involve problematic travelling.

wingandprayer Wed 07-Oct-09 10:23:08

Would put exactly what you said in letter "a change of circumstances meant I was no longer able to work every weekend"

Don't see why any potential employer would have a problem with it, though you may need to explain the circumstances in interview. At that point you could explain the additional workload you were expected to do and all the other factors.It not unreasonable.

deepdarkwood Wed 07-Oct-09 10:23:34

Do you need to say why you left the job in tha application form? I would stick with something vague like change in circumstances, and if they ask you, say that the hours for the job changed and were no longer possible.
You don't need to say anything else - ie don't over explain, just keep it simple

Personally, I wouldn't go far from what you said to the previous people, given that you are likely to have them as a reference, i guess smile

mummyloveslucy Wed 07-Oct-09 10:31:39

Thanks everyone. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now