Talk

Advanced search

rock and hard place

(5 Posts)
carocaro Thu 01-Oct-09 18:11:36

So DH has been f**d by his company

Wants to take them to an employment tribunal
BUT solicitor costs approx. 3-6K which we don't have and can't get.

We don't qualify for legal aid.

So not only do they not pay him for 2 months, nor his expenses and spread rumours about him.

And we can do F all about it due to money.

What is the bloody point?

mamhaf Thu 01-Oct-09 19:04:55

Check your household insurance - you might have legal cover for contract disputes

flowerybeanbag Thu 01-Oct-09 20:38:09

Have you tried a no-win no-fee solicitor? You might pay more in the long run but it's an option if you have no funds available.

It's perfectly possible to submit a tribunal claim without a solicitor, the process is supposed to be accessible to employees. Has your DH looked into doing the form himself? If it's something straightforward like non-payment of wages it shouldn't be too tricky.

Has he been to see the CAB or rung ACAS to confirm he has a decent case for something?

jomalone Fri 02-Oct-09 00:26:51

Please try CAB, and also ring ACAS. Also CAB may be able to point you in the direction of local law clinics or similar run by a local university or law firm. I only heard that a university near me does this after it was too late. I too was put off taking my old employer to an employment tribunal because it sounded so expensive to get a lawyer. I wish now I had looked further into getting help from CAB etc. I did however look into the law myself and wrote a letter setting out the position very factually, which did hhelp

or does he have a trade union or similar (e.g. a regulatory body) who could help?

please don't give up if you possibly can, even if you have to do much of the running yourselves. I think too many employers get away with flouting the law because they know solicitors are prohibitively expensive.

carocaro Sun 04-Oct-09 10:48:04

Thanks, will try all suggested and see what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now