Talk

Advanced search

quick answer needed regarding applying for a job after running your own business

(7 Posts)
Tortington Wed 30-Sep-09 14:22:26

a friend of mine is applying for a job, previously they were self employed. He doesn't know quite how the reference thing will work

he has been self employed for three years.

My first reaction was to tell him to put down his last employer for a reference

is this right?

the app has to be in today so any quick answer would be appreciated

flowerybeanbag Wed 30-Sep-09 14:23:48

Has he got a client he could put down as well? I'd put last employer of 3 years ago plus one client if possible.

StealthPolarBear Wed 30-Sep-09 14:27:16

yes, I'd say client/ business partner? And then last employer, especially since it's fairly recent

Tortington Wed 30-Sep-09 14:36:41

his business partner is his wife - not exactly impartial - should he still do this?

the tricky thing is that he was a consultant for community groups and such for specific projects ( are you still with me?) so the projects themselves may have a short lifecycle - up to a year dependig on funding.

whilst he does have people he could call on for a reference that he worked with as a consultant - they may not necessarily work in the same field

seems so complicated!

so in that case - should he put down a client that was a worker for a project - but now is a sahm - for example?

Tortington Wed 30-Sep-09 14:37:54

may not work in the same field anymore - is what that is mean to say

tigerbear Wed 30-Sep-09 14:44:12

Hi Cutlass - old clients should be fine, even if they don't work in the same field anymore, so their title would be Ex / Former Project Manager for xyz... or similar.

Tortington Wed 30-Sep-09 14:46:50

oh thank you so much - i shall ring him now with my almighty knowledge and show how brainy i am and not mention that anyof you gave me the answer to this query at all grin

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now