Talk

Advanced search

Using own car for work purposes?

(9 Posts)
MrsSantosisafeminist Sat 26-Sep-09 11:40:51

I am applying for a job which states I have to have access to a car for work purposes and be prepared to insure it appropriately. This is not a well paid job (£9K pa approximately). Is this the sort of thing where they would reimburse me additional insurance costs and give me mileage costs?

Of course, I am going to ring them to find out but I wondered what common practice was for this sort of thing. I turned down a job a few years back (also badly paid grin) because they hadn't thought all this through. I should have pursued it with the organisation as I think the interviewer was badly briefed (not by all accounts a happy place to work so glad I didn't go there smile)

bigstripeytiger Sat 26-Sep-09 11:45:08

I dont think this would cost a lot to insure. My policy didnt increase when I had to add business use.
I would expect that they should reimburse mileage costs.

deepdarkwood Sat 26-Sep-09 11:49:08

My insurance also did increase when adding work usage (self emplyed) Suspect they would give a mileage cost which is expected to contribute to petrol + insurance + additional wear and tear. I think 40p is max allowed under IR, but may be out of date there

LIZS Sat 26-Sep-09 12:09:00

ddw is right - I use my car on that basis

flowerybeanbag Sat 26-Sep-09 13:50:35

They probably wouldn't reimburse additional insurance costs but will pay you probably 40p a mile for business miles which is supposed to take into account wear and tear and insurance as well as just petrol.

shinyshoes Sat 26-Sep-09 14:34:08

My company gives me travelling allowance of 40p a mile as part of getting to work and back home.

My DP employers tell him he has to have business insurance as he uses his car for callouts and as part of his job. (mine is to get me to and from not actually as part of my job).

I think he only gets mileage too.

MsHighwater Sat 26-Sep-09 14:48:25

l get 40p/mile for business miles only (not to & from office). Have to have cover for using car for work, not just for commuting but I don't think it costs any more & I would have to pay any extra anyway, if it did.

cat64 Sat 26-Sep-09 15:11:20

Message withdrawn

MrsSantosisafeminist Sun 27-Sep-09 11:53:39

Thanks - am going to ring them tomorrow with a few questions. Incredibly nervous about the whole thing as haven't been in this situation since about the the neolithic era <<nervous grin emoticon>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now