Talk

Advanced search

Claiming jobs seekers allowance when 27 weeks pregnant??

(4 Posts)
didsnbump Thu 17-Sep-09 18:45:06

Can anyone help me out with whether or not i can claim job seekers allowance or not.
My DH is in the armed forces and we are currently in germany where i am working. We have just been told we are moving back to england for him to work which means me having to leave work. Due to this i am able to claim jobseekers allowance but by this point i will be 27 weeks pregnant.

What will happen??

( only been in my job since 13 July 2009 and am leaving before i can go on maternity leave)

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 17-Sep-09 18:53:36

If your DH works, then you wont qualify for income based JSA. The other type is contributions based where you need to have paid NI contributions for two years (specifc tax years) to qualify.

didsnbump Thu 17-Sep-09 19:08:41

I should have enough ni contributions as apart from 7 months between the end of my maternity leave from my previous job when having ds1 and getting another job thats the only break i have had from many years of working.
I was under the impression that my ni contributions are paid for me by the goverment while my DS is little so should cover those 7 months.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 18-Sep-09 09:30:55

The government do pay some contributions for people who claim child benefit but they only count towards pensions and are not true NI contributions for other benefits.

The job center will be able to confirm if your NI contributions are enough for 6 months contributions based JSA - if not you wont qualify for JSA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now