Talk

Advanced search

sideways termtime only or full time upward move?

(9 Posts)
winnie09 Wed 16-Sep-09 13:56:11

I am looking for a new job and have started applying for things and I am being called for interviews.

I am a single Mum with a 9 year old ds(dd is grown up and now lives away). I have almost no network of support re childcare/emergencies etc. I have been thinking that a term time only job is the answer but it would mean a move sideways and possibly slightly less money because of the pro rata way the salary would paid. I work 30 hours a week at the moment and it is a juggling act particularly in school holidays. I am struggling financially. Should I really be concentrating on upping my hours to 37 and looking at a move upwards career wise? I really don't know what to do. I have two degrees and I am afraid a sideways move will bore me and make our financial situation worse but I am afraid a move upwards will put more pressure on ds (after school clubs/holiday clubs etc)... Perhaps it is obvious but what would you do in this situation? TIA

winnie09 Wed 16-Sep-09 18:29:43

Shameless bump smile

neversaydie Thu 17-Sep-09 11:35:06

I was pushed into a sideways move at work, and took the chance at that point to go part-time, term time only. The job is fine (my pride was dented) and the extra time for ds (who is now 10, was 9 at the time) has been wonderful.

For me, cutting back to a 4-day week equivalent allowed time for school holidays and a bit for me. The cut in salary was 20% on the top line, but of course it is the amount you pay most tax on, so not quite as much take home.

So in my opinion and experience, if you can find a term-time only job, I would seize it with both hands!

winnie09 Thu 17-Sep-09 18:13:32

Thanks neversaydie. I am glad it is working for you. It seems like there are good and bad points on both sides.
I really don't know. Any other thoughts anyone?

rookiemater Thu 17-Sep-09 21:01:03

Why don't you wait and see what happens at interview ?

It sounds like due to the family sacrifices going f/t for you will only work if it is something you love, plus once you have been to an interview yo uwill get more of a sense of wether f/t is 9-5 or 8 - whenever.

FWIW I would absolutely love to have a term time job if it was available.

roisin Thu 17-Sep-09 21:13:50

I work TTO and I love it. It's fantastic to have so much time to spend with the boys, and we go away a lot as well - just cheap trips in the UK - but it's brilliant to have that freedom.

I couldn't go back to 5 weeks hols a year now. No way!

winnie09 Fri 18-Sep-09 16:51:54

Do you know I would love a TTO job (and you are all so enthusiastic) but I am struggling with money (haven't had a holiday for 3 years) and I am the only person bringing money into our household. I can't help but think it would be morally wrong to put us in an even more difficult financial situation. I also think if I have no money what the hell would I do with all that time?

I am going to go to the interview and as rookiemater says see what happens but the TTO was the main attraction but working the salary out over the year has given me a bit of a shock.

I am also worried that at 40 if I move sideways that will be it careerwise and that bothers me too hmm

roisin Fri 18-Sep-09 16:57:53

I guess the balance with TTO work finance-wise is if you alternatively have to fork out £££ for childcare during the holidays. If you have 'free' childcare available, then that doesn't come into the equation.

I have a lovely contract whereby I work TTO and only 32.5 hrs a week, but my salary (ie salary scalepoint) was paid 100% - ie 52 weeks of the year. Unfortunately, after 5 years, this is ceasing at the end of this academic year, and my salary will be pro rata-d for the hours/weeks I actually work. sad

elkiedee Sat 19-Sep-09 00:12:14

First, you don't have to decide until you get offered a job, and then you should consider everything about the job and whether it appeals.

Have you talked to your son about it much? How would he feel about after school/holiday clubs? What might you do if you were able to have all the holidays with him - but less money?

What sort of work do you do/area do you work in? Are you already in education or something where TTO is common? Are there any possible jobs that aren't TTO but have more flexibility than your current job?

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now