Talk

Advanced search

I'll be made redundant, do I need a lawyer in the meeting with me?

(8 Posts)
america Sun 13-Sep-09 15:34:12

My company gave me a note saying that they reimburse the cost but do I need one? And if so, can anybody recommend me one? Needed in London City.

Many thanks.

Quattrocento Sun 13-Sep-09 15:38:46

You need Flowerybeanbag, but IMO it would be helpful. You need someone to ask pertinent questions about the basis of selection etc and statutory entitlements and no matter how clear-headed you might be in normal circs, you'll probably find it helpful at an emotional/stressful time. If you can't find a suitably employment lawyer you could just take someone sensible with you.

flowerybeanbag Sun 13-Sep-09 15:50:00

I saw your thread title and came on to tell you that I would fall over with shock if your employer would allow one.

But seemingly they do shock. I never would. grin

But as they allow it and will fund the cost, then absolutely take one. Redundancy can be very straightforward or can involve complications and potential problems. Even if it is very straightforward and you don't feel the decision itself is contraversial in any way, a lawyer will make sure everything that needs explaining/checking is covered and will help ensure a fair procedure is followed.

If your employer will fund taking a lawyer in, then do so imo.

Metrobaby Sun 13-Sep-09 16:24:37

america - having been made redundant before, my employers offered me a reimbursment of the lawyer's costs - but this is only for advice on the compromise agreement and had a defined limit. I also did have a redundancy meeting with a member of HR and my manager but at this meeting I was not allowed a lawyer. However I was allowed to take a work colleague into the meeting. I didn't as I felt that current work colleagues would feel awkward.

america Mon 14-Sep-09 09:33:17

Hmm, Metrobaby you seem to be right. The note says that I, and a qualified solicitor need to sign a company compromise agreement, otherwise I only receive statutory payments. And that the fees should be capped. BUT. It also states that following the procedure "during this 1st consultation meeting, they outline the company's proposals and invite representation". What does this mean? It also says that in the 2nd meeting they should give the employee the opportunity of further representation. THANK YOU!

flowerybeanbag Mon 14-Sep-09 14:08:01

If they need you to sign a compromise agreement they will need to pay for you to have it checked by a solicitor, yes.

But if they are also offering to pay for you to have one attend a consultation meeting, you should take them up on this.

In terms of what 'outline proposals and invite representation' means, I would guess it means they are going to tell you what they are proposing in terms of a redundancy situation/criteria for selection/pay, and ask for your feedback/questions.

Metrobaby Mon 14-Sep-09 21:00:51

america - if you want to take a lawyer with you to the consultation meetings I would be inclined to clarify with your HR dept that a lawyer is allowed. Like flowery I would be surprised your employer would actually allow one. Representation might just mean a union rep rather than a lawyer, so it is worth checking so that you don't get billed unnecessarily for your lawyer's time. Try and go prepared to your consultation meeting with a list of questions you may have.

america Wed 16-Sep-09 10:00:01

Thank you both, all clear now. Expect, where should I look for a solicitor to check that contract? Can anybody recommend one in London?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now