Talk

Advanced search

Do you travel with your job?

(5 Posts)
TheGoddessBlossom Wed 02-Sep-09 14:17:12

I don't as a general rule, but sell offshore IT consultants and to help close a big deal I am expected to travel to India for a week in 2 weeks time. It's my deal, my account, my contacts, I want to go, and feel no-one else should host my client visiting our facility there. BUT - have two small boys, one starting school tomorrow, husband also works full time, he has had to cancel work for that week practically as was due to work in London (builder). He is VERY cross that I expect him to do all the childcare/pick ups/drop offs and expect him to try to work in that week.

He knows it's not my fault and unavoidable but is really angry and taking it all out on me. I know that if the roles were reversed of course I would do it, what mother wouldn't? Why does he have to be so grumpy just cos it's the other way round? he is also very meanly reminding me of how much the boys will miss me when I am away.....sad

CMOTdibbler Wed 02-Sep-09 14:22:41

Yes, I travel frequently for work, and DH also works full time.

DH sorts his work out to fit round childcare hours - nursery is 8-6, and if he needs to, he will organise a babysitter to bring DS home from nursery. He accepts that me going away is an integral part of my work.

My colleagues DH always bitches about her going away though, and its a real pain for her

TheGoddessBlossom Wed 02-Sep-09 14:26:28

It is a pain. He will calm down, and i know him well, I just need to take the ranting until then.

The issue that has made it worse is the fact that he booked and informed me ages ago about a week in London where he leaves the house at 6am and doesn't get back until 7pm. Our childcare (DS2 in nursery 8-6 and DS1 at school and childminder 8.30am till 6pm) doesn't cater for him working those hours.

Bit of a nightmare really, but he will just have to cope I really don't think I have a choice.

CMOTdibbler Wed 02-Sep-09 14:29:30

Would your childminder have them early and late as a one off week ?

TheGoddessBlossom Wed 02-Sep-09 14:42:59

I could look into it! Good point. Possibly a bit to much to'ing and fro'ing for her though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now