Talk

Advanced search

part time to full time, how do you cope??

(8 Posts)
ivegotahousefull Tue 01-Sep-09 21:05:47

Hi , i have changed jobs going from part time to fulltime, fulltime being 45 hours one week and 50 then next. This is my third day, of doing this job, started last week but then was off ill. I am finding myself getting increasingly upset at being out of the house all day.

I took the job on thinking of the money and not of the hours, really didnt think it through properly. I am trying to find alternative employment, hard when i am out of the house all day! I also have four children, two young adults a teenager and a 10 yr old.

if i asked the manager to reduce a few hours, is he likely to finish me? Is it legal to work more than 40 hours a week and can i refuse too? How do other mums cope working full time with school age plus children?

The job itself is easy enough, delivering small parts from main depot to various shops within local town, its just hard coming home at tea time, doing housework, sorting kids etc. My husband works away for two weeks at a time, so during that time i am on my own.

I know i should be grateful to have a job in this horrible climate, but at this moment in time my own self pity!! is telling me its too much, instead of thinking of the extra income, since my husband had been made redundant, and gained another job bringing home a lot less take home pay..

rubyslippers Tue 01-Sep-09 21:09:36

your children are old enough to help with the tea and housework plus chores ... they need to pitch in and do more if necessary as you ease into things ...

I have no idea about the legalities of working more than 40 hours a week - i certainly do

would check your contract and/or speak to ACAS

you need to give yourself some time to adjust

ivegotahousefull Tue 01-Sep-09 21:13:05

thanks ruby for your quick response i cant stop crying, which is getting me even more upset cos i am wasting valuable hometime by crying over work.

I dont mind working 40 its the other 5/10 what are going to stretch me.

Do you work full time?

rubyslippers Tue 01-Sep-09 21:15:42

i work FT with a 3 year old and i am 35 weeks pregnant

i also have a long commute

I thinkyou need to really look at whether it is worth it or not to work the extra hours - i do think 3 days is too soon to make a decision

at times like this a hot bath, large glass of wine and an early night can help a lot

pasturesnew Tue 01-Sep-09 21:18:39

It's tough isn't it? I work full-time (although on mat leave now) but luckily I can log into the office from home in the evening which is a bit easier than all the time in the office.

I absolutely agree that your children need to pitch in more.

If possible I would recommend you get a cleaner, yes it's an extra expense but cheaper than you going back to part-time again.

Mainly though, after a couple of weeks you will find a rhythm to your new working life and that will help.

Presumably your DH is looking for work too, and hopefully will find some in due course, so this is a temporary situation and will improve after a while.

Are any of your kids likely to leave home soon and be independent or are they students?

Hang on in there, sounds like you are doing the right thing.

ivegotahousefull Tue 01-Sep-09 21:20:39

Now i feel even worse for moaning now ruby,, i live five mins drive from work, just find it frustrating that i am so close to home yet cant just pop in.

At the minute we need every penny we can, as my eldest has enrolled at college and we will have to fund him as he will not qualify for any financial help.

I bet you can not wait for your maternity leave to start, or has it already? How will you manage working with two babies, sorry if its too many questions.

ivegotahousefull Tue 01-Sep-09 21:25:16

hi pastures, my husband has gotten another job, its working away again!! but its a lot less money than his previous job, with still the same outgoings unfortunately. Plus its a second marraige for us both, so he also provides for his first, rightly so, just wish my ex provided for his!!

My eldest has just enrolled in college, he is 20, so qualifys for no financial help. My second is on a government course hopefully leading to an apprenticeship. So all four children are still financially dependant on us.

My husband has said if i dont like it dont do it, but i feel then i am letting everyone down myself included, as the extra money would make life so much easier.

I am thinking of asking a friend down the street who has just had half of her hours reduced at her place of work, to see if she fancies nipping in few days a week, to keep on top for me, with pay of course smile

pasturesnew Tue 01-Sep-09 21:45:43

Ouch, it does sound tight! But I still think you are doing the right thing and hopefully it will get easier soon. Good idea about getting your friend in.

Maybe your eldest can take a part-time job alongside studying so that at least you don't have to buy his clothes or transport, even if you wouldn't necessarily expect him to contribute to the household expenses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now