Talk

Advanced search

Applying for job while ttc

(6 Posts)
corona Wed 26-Aug-09 11:44:42

I am miserable in my current job. My plan was to stay until I had another dc, but I really feel I've got to move or will start to get depressed. But, I am struggling with the idea of changing jobs while ttc as it feels underhand to start a new job on that basis.

On the other hand, it could take another year to get pregnant, or it might not happen at all.

Am I overanalysing, is it actually quite a normal thing to do? Anyone around to talk it through with?

flowerybeanbag Wed 26-Aug-09 11:52:17

You are overanalysing!

Hopefully you will conceive quickly, but as you say, it could take quite a while so there's no point hanging around in a job that's making you miserable if you don't need to on the off chance you might become pregnant soon.

I'm no expert but I'm sure being miserable and depressed doesn't help ttc anyway.

dontrunwithscissors Wed 26-Aug-09 11:59:15

Although, presumably, you would want to put TTC on hold for a few months once you start a new job so that you can qualify for maternity pay? That's a small price to pay, though, if you get to move to a job that actually makes you smile on a morning. smile

flowerybeanbag Wed 26-Aug-09 12:01:49

As long as you aren't actually pregnant when you start your new job or conceive within a couple of weeks of starting, you will be entitled to SMP. You need to have been employed continously by the same employer for 26 weeks by the 15th week before your due date.

corona Wed 26-Aug-09 12:06:22

Well, yes I would ideally, but I think I have been quite naive in that I waited two years after dc1's birth to ttc thinking that I wd get pregnant straight away and have already been trying for nearly a year - and am coming up to 38. So, need to get on with it really.

I'm glad you both think it's okay. I do rationally too, but the whole career/children thing can be a minefield can't it

corona Wed 26-Aug-09 12:07:01

x post with Flowery - I'd forgotten that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now