Talk

Advanced search

Barred from work cause I'm off sick?

(19 Posts)
Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:19:07

Since the day my boss found out I was pregnant he has done everything in his power to make me quit, yelling, screaming, trying to make me do things which according to my risk assessment I'm not allowed to, discriminating with being personal and offensive.

So I couldn't handle it anymore. There's only so much bathroom crying I can do, but I refuse to quit. I don't like the job but after what he has put me through I will have my maternity leave.

I went of sick for 'pregnancy stress'. I was cramping, could stand up for 6 hours in a really stressful environment without a break (even though it was stated by the company I must take one every two hours) and then he said I was being a whimp.

When I was in work a month ago to pick some things up, this boss told me to get out cause I'm barred when I'm off sick. Another girl (a manager who is not pregnant) where standing next to him (clearly not barred).

I have two questions,
1. Can I sue the company for discrimination, and what is the best way to do it?
2. Is the whole 'barred' thing really allowed? I'm off for stress HE has caused, it's not like I have swine flu.

Really appreciate any help.

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:20:48

Oh that girl was off sick too.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 25-Aug-09 19:24:55

I think (and I may be totally wrong) that a companies insurance doesn't cover you if you are on the premises whilst on a sick note.
But your boss sounds like an ass, I'm sure you could bring this to HR attention the way he has treated you.

choufleur Tue 25-Aug-09 19:27:50

You need flowery or someone with more knowledge than me, but I would diary everything that has happened. and put a complaint about your manager in writing, to HR if there is one, or to his manager.

He sounds awful.

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:28:01

What would that mean? I'm a costumer like everyone else. My sister is constantly off sick but sits there anyway (I work in a pub). This is just about me.

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:29:31

Oh he is horrible! Told my sister not to eat so much cause she's fat and told my friend to stop sleeping around. You see, I want all of him gone! Everyone in work would go on a strike if we were in the union!

choufleur Tue 25-Aug-09 19:31:53

A complaint should mean that the company looks into your complaint and deals with the situation.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 25-Aug-09 19:33:59

sorry, didn't realise you worked in a pub (or an environment of being able to be on the premises other than working iyswim)

I work in an office and when I was pg was signed off with high blood pressure, but I ended up working for a few hours a day. Some kind person took me aside and told me that I shouldnt be working (as signed off) and that I wasn't covered insurance wise working.

We had the same issue with two girls in my team, one signed off with a broken leg and even though she wanted to work, we couldn't let her.

MrsGladpuss Tue 25-Aug-09 19:34:30

Umm I think his behaviour is terrible. And you should consider making a grievance.

However, I am a little shock about being in work if you're sick. I understand you went in to collect some bits, but if you are well enough to be a customer you are well enough to be in work.

Why would you want to be there any way if you're off sick?!

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 25-Aug-09 19:35:19

Is he the landlord? Is there somebody higher to complain to?

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:36:24

I don't even know how to make a complaint. My boss's boss is the area manager which never comes into our pub. He has no phone number employees are allowed to use and the only way to email him is via the companys computer in the office, which of course I'm not allowed to go near (I need a manager to sit with me and they would then see what I write and they wouldn't let me send it).

It feels like I'm in a momet 22. That's way I need some kind of court or higher power, free from my companys claws.

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:38:21

I have all my friends working there and I miss them alot. My family goes there and I feel sick being home doing nothing. Of course I can't work. There is a difference between standing up for 10 hours straight aand sitting down having a juice :S

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 25-Aug-09 19:40:06

could they not all go to a differnt pub so you could go for a drink without having to spend time with your boss?

choufleur Tue 25-Aug-09 19:45:42

if it's part of a chain then it must surely have an HR department/team. find the number for head office and ask to speak to them and find out how you should make a complaint in the circumstances.

mrsgladpuss i think it's entirely different popping in somewhere for five minutes to working.

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 19:46:40

I just donn't like being out on the street. That pub is my home, I've been working there twice as long as he. This is about principles, I have rights and I'm not gonna budge just to not 'make a fuss'. He is wrong and he can't even see it.

MrsGladpuss Tue 25-Aug-09 19:55:17

Choufleur I agree. Sorry I don't think I made my point very well.

Popping in to collect things is ok (should be prior arrangement if doing by the book).

Sitting on a chair sipping a drink in full sight of other employees when off sick is not.

Go to another pub.

Contact the companies head office and ask to speak to HR and then deal with the matter through the proper channels. You should have the facility to speak to your secondary line manager (ie your boss's boss) and the fact you don't is just another example of this rubbish man.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 25-Aug-09 19:56:03

It must be difficult when your place of work is not just a place of work. My mum used to work at Asda and she had an accident there and broke her elbow quite badly, she was off work for sometime but still preferred to shop there. Obv somebody would be there with her shopping / pushing the trolley / packing / lifting etc, but it makes the distinction when you're off sick a bit blurred.

Mia88 Tue 25-Aug-09 20:01:16

Thank you all for your help.
I will try to find the number to call and make a complaint, after all it's better then nothing!
Management must see that is person is not suitable to be in a leading role.

Thanks
xx

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 25-Aug-09 20:04:32

If I were you, I would stay out of the pub though while off sick (sorry if this doesn't agree with your opinion, but I wouldn't go in off sick)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now